Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Applying for accommodation at Otago

Yellow Student flat

Intending to study at Otago for Semester 2 and want to live in a Residential College or the University Flats?
There is accommodation available:  Start your application now

Are you eligible to apply?

  • Current or future student of the University of Otago.
  • Prospective students from other institutions may apply for limited places in City College & Salmond College.
  • For helpful information please check out our flowchart about the application process.

When to apply

Full Year and Semester One

  • Applications open 1 August for full academic year accommodation.
  • Study Abroad/Exchange students may apply from the 1 August for Semester 1
  • Postgraduate students are welcome to apply at any time for accommodation at Abbey College.

Semester Two

  • Applications open 1 April each year.

Closing dates

  • Full academic year accommodation in the Residential Colleges should be made before the end of September.
  • International Students eligible for Semester One accommodation should apply before 1 December each year.
  • Applications received after these dates may be considered as places become available.

Important Information

  • The University of Otago requires accommodation applications to be made online.
  • This is a seperate process to applying to study on eVision.
  • Students who have attended or are attending a New Zealand secondary school in 2016 or 2017 require a Common Confidential Reference Form completed by their school on their behalf. Please use this link to make an online request for this document: Online CCRF Request
  • Students that did not attend a New Zealand secondary school but attended or are attending school in 2016 or 2017 need to print the CCRF PDF file and complete section A then forward it to their school for completion: CCRF PDF File
  • Students applying for an undergraduate college and have not been attending or attended secondary school in the past 2 years are required to provide two character references.  These should be emailed to and will be attached to the accommodation application.  These must be provided to be considered for a place in a residential college.
  • Students that are transferring from another Tertiary Institution will be considered for a place once they have an unconditional academic offer from the University of Otago.
  • Students transferring from another Tertiary Institution for Semester 2, should contact the Student Accommodation Centre as soon as they have an unconditional academic offer to ensure their accommodation application is forwarded to their first preference without delay.  

General Terms and Conditions

The University of Otago owns and manages the following undergraduate Residential Colleges: Aquinas College, Arana College, Carrington College, Cumberland College, Hayward College, Studholme College, Te Rangi Hiroa College, Toroa College and University College.

General Terms & Conditions Undergraduate Colleges