Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Biochemistry PhD Seminar | Chris Hakaart

Genetic Predisposition to Gastric Cancer: CDH1 and Beyond

Gastric cancer is a complex disease influenced by strong genetic and environmental factors. Hereditary gastric cancer syndromes are thought to account for between 1-3% of all cases. The most common hereditary gastric cancer syndrome is Hereditary Diffuse Gastric Cancer (HDGC), an autosomal dominant cancer syndrome that is primarily characterised by an extreme risk of developing diffuse-type gastric cancer. Approximately 40% of families that fit the clinical criteria for HDGC carry a pathogenic mutation in germline CDH1. An explanation for the remaining 60% of cases remains largely elusive.

Next-generation sequencing, multiplex ligation-dependent probe amplification, and Sanger sequencing were used to investigate genetic predisposition to gastric. This seminar will describe the findings from an unselected population based Māori case-control cohort, a series of Chilean gastric cancer patients, and a series of CDH1 mutation-negative HDGC patients.

Date Tuesday, 15 August 2017
Time 12:00pm - 1:00pm
Audience All University
Event Category Health Sciences
Event Type Departmental Seminar
CampusDunedin
DepartmentBiochemistry
LocationBiochemistry Seminar Room 231

Save this event