The Otago Business School is home to a number of centres of research excellence.
These centres are research flagships for the Otago Business School; each a focal point for a specific research problem or domain. The centres exist to foster networking and communication between Otago academics and colleagues at other institutions.
Business School Research Centres
There are a number of research centres at the Otago Business School:
- ASPIRE2025: ASPIRE2025 is one of the University of Otago's Research Themes and a recognised area of research excellence. This multi-disciplinary collaboration provides evidence to support the government's goal of a smokefree Aotearoa/ New Zealand by 2025. Members' work spans the research continuum and includes conceptual research that examined how "informed choice" applies to an addictive behaviour, policy interventions, particularly constraints on tobacco marketing, and clinical trials of new cessation devices. We hold HRC and Marsden grants, have a vibrant post-graduate cohort, and are well networked with leading international research teams.
- Download a copy of the 2015 ASPIRE2025 Annual Report
- Centre for Health Systems (CHS): facilitates and promotes research into health system improvement, across local and national health systems, and internationally.
- Centre for Business and the Environment
- Competitive Advantage New Zealand: devoted to understanding how New Zealand enterprises can develop competitive advantage that is world class
- Economic Growth and Development: seeks to explain why economies grow at such different rates
- Centre for Entrepreneurship: recognised internationally as a hub for entrepreneurship research and research-led teaching
- Industrial Relations Research Centre: examines a variety of contemporary employment issues, of interest to academics, practitioners, and to the general public
- New Zealand Business Case Research Centre (incorporating Centre for Management Cases)
- The Otago Forum: aims to stimulate business research with a service orientation, especially research involving collaboration with industry
- Centre for Recreation Research: aims to establish a long-term research programme to develop theoretical and practical knowledge about commercial and non-commercial recreation developments in rural, urban and natural areas, both in New Zealand and overseas
- Centre for Organisational Performance Measurement and Management (COPMM): The Centre’s mission is to bring together researchers and practitioners who share a common interest in the performance measurement and management of organisations for the purpose of sharing and promoting innovative and best practice.
- Otago Energy Research Centre (OERC): An interdisciplinary Centre which links a diverse spectrum of researchers who share a common goal of assisting the transformation of New Zealand’s energy system to one which is efficient, secure, sustainable, and carbon neutral.