The Otago Business School gives students who’ve completed two years of their three year Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) the opportunity to gain valuable paid work experience (for between six to 12 months) through the Otago Internship Programme, while at the same time earning credit towards their degree. So why not put into practise the knowledge and skills you’ve learnt at University in the real business world, get paid for it, and stand out from other New Zealand commerce graduates when entering the employment market?
See what students are saying about the Otago Business School’s unique and exclusive Internship Programme.
What's involved with the Internship Programme?
"I spent the year out of University, working with a Marketing firm full-time for the whole year. I learnt a lot about myself, how a business runs and also about what you get up to when you work in Marketing … take the opportunity, I really recommend it.”
Our Internship Programme is unique in New Zealand and designed to give Otago students (who’ve completed their second year of study towards their BCom and are averaging a ‘B’ or better academic grade) valuable and meaningful first hand workplace experience. As an intern you will be involved in real business activities - you are not a "broom boy" or "tea lady", and you won't be running mindless errands. Our Business interns genuinely add value to businesses they work for.
- complete our practical “Employability Programme” (work-related training programme) before starting your internship
- apply for available positions advertised through the Otago Business School Internship Office (plus attend job interviews as required)
- work in full-time in paid employment for six months to 1 year
- complete 1 x 18-point academic distance learning paper (BSNS 301) - part of which involves completing a business project covering a topic (or topics) of interest specific to the employer
- at the end of your internship you return to the University of Otago to complete the final year of your BCom degree.
Find out more about the BSNS 301 paper: Internship Practicum.
Other Important Information
- Am I eligible?
- Why do an internship?
- Preparing and applying
- Requirements and support
- Employability Programme
- Information for Employers
- FAQs for students
Contact the Internship Manager
If you’d like to find out more about the Otago Internship Programme please contact the Internship Office:
Dean's Office, Otago Business School
Tel: +64 3 479 4280