Studying at the University of Otago is an exciting and life-changing experience. As a newcomer to tertiary education, you will enrol in an undergraduate degree – your first university qualification.
The structure of an undergraduate Commerce degree includes:
• 360 points for a standard undergraduate degree (points are similar to credits gained as secondary school)
• a number of individual courses of study, as part of your degree, which are called ‘papers’
• a requirement that during your degree you will complete around 20 different papers
• a requirement that 180 points of your degree must be above 100 level (first year)
• a requirement that up to 90 points may be taken from outside Commerce.
Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)
The Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) is the primary undergraduate degree for business students at the University of Otago. This degree normally requires three years of full-time study to complete.
Undergraduate information & resources
The Otago Business School offers the following guidelines and advice to students, to help understand the complexities of undertaking a course of undergraduate study in Commerce at Otago:
- Preparation for Undergraduate Business Studies
- Course Advice
- Undergraduate Resources
- Undergraduate Downloads
The University of Otago offers students flexible programmes of study. If you are studying towards another qualification, but want to include some business papers, you may be able to include a business subject as a minor, or second major. Or you can embark on a multi-disciplinary programme that includes a number of business papers.