Preparing for interviews, tests and assessments
The Career Development Centre has lots of resources to help you prepare for a successful job interview - drop in to check out what we've got on interview techniques.
Seminars on interview skills
The Career Advisers run seminars on interview skills and techniques throughout the year.
Publications about acing your interview
Interview Skills (PDF, 253KB)
The Career Development Centre brings you free online video practice interviewing!
- See and hear yourself responding to real interview questions before being in front of an employer.
- Critique yourself or share your interview with others.
- Practice as much as you like - anywhere, anytime from any computer.
To get started click on the InterviewStream logo or go to https://otago.interviewstream.com.
- Click on "Create Account"
- Register with InterviewStream using an email address of your choice.
- Type in a unique password. (Please do not re-use a password that you have used elsewhere.) Once registered you may immediately login to InterviewStream.
For an easy instructional video on using the software click on "Tutorial" or read the "User Guide" under "Helpful Resources".
Click on Interview Webinars and Expert Tips for free professional advice on interviewing techniques.
InterviewStream's Best Practices guide offers helpful tips for staging the interview and for mentally preparing to achieve a polished and professional look.
Visit the Career Development Centre
If you still have questions about your upcoming interview, book an appointment with a Career Adviser through OtagoCareerHub or come in for a Tuesday Drop-In session.
Some of the more common tests are verbal, numerical and diagrammatic. Here you can try some example questions for each of these skills or choose to look at what a personality questionnaire would involve.