The Christchurch Heart Institute is working to reduce this through:
- Research into improved diagnosis
- Better prediction
- Advanced treatments for heart disease performed in Canterbury
The Christchurch Heart Institute employs of 35 - 40 experts in cardiology, genetics, biochemistry and physiology.
It is the only integrated 'bench to bedside to community' cardiovascular research group in New Zealand. Our research focused on:
- Discovering and implementing new blood tests for heart disease diagnosis and treatment
- Developing new methods for treating heart failure and improving outcomes
- Understanding the genetics of heart disease to help explain why heart disease runs in families.
Our research is supported through:
- Research grants
- A Programme Grant from the Health Research Council of New Zealand
- Project Grants from the Heart Foundation and Lotteries Health.