BMedSc MB ChB(Otago) PhD(Monash) FRACP
Lipids and Diabetes Research
Private Bag 4710
- Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of Otago, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Director, Lipid and Diabetes Research, Christchurch
- Christchurch Physician in Charge, Lipid Disorders and Cardiovascular Prevention, Canterbury District Health Board
- Physician, Diabetes Services, Canterbury District Health Board
- Physician, Internal Medicine, Canterbury District Health Board
- Consultant, MedLab South
- Prevention and treatment of type 1 Diabetes Mellitus
- Adipocyte function and Insulin resistance
- Lipid disorders and CVD
- Endothelial function and endocrine regulation
- Diabetes Epidemiology and health outcomes
Top 10 Publications
- Scott R.S. and Burger H.G. Inhibin is absent from azoospermic semen of infertile men. In Nature 285: 246 247 (1980). Also profiled in Yearbook of Endocrinology, Mosby (1981).
- Scott R.S., Brown L.J., Darlow B.A., Forbes L.V. and Moore M.P. Temporal variations in incidence of IDDM in New Zealand. In Diabetes Care 15:895-899 (1992).
- Forbes L.V., Scott R.S., Brown L.J. and Darlow B.A. Immunogenetic, clinical and demographic characterisation of childhood type I diabetes in New Zealand. In Diabetes Care 18: 1428-1433 (1995).
- Florkowski C.M., Scott R.S., Moir C.L. and Graham P.J. Lipid but not glycaemic parameters predict total mortality from type 2 diabetes mellitus in Canterbury, New Zealand. In Diabetic Medicine 15:386-392 (1998).
- Willis J.A., Scott R.S., Darlow B.A, Lewy H., Ashkenazi I., Laron Z., Seasonality of Birth and Onset of Clinical Disease in Children and Adolescents (0 � 19 years) with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Canterbury, New Zealand. In Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism, 15: 645 � 647 (2002). Also, subject of editorial comment by Z Laron in Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism 15:573-575 (2002).
- Phillips P., Karrasch J., Scott R., Wilson D., Moses R. Acarbose improves glycaemic control in overweight Type 2 diabetic patients insufficiently treated with metformin. In Diabetes Care, 26:269-273 (2003).
- Strey CH, Young J, Collier M, Florkowski CM, Shand BI, Scott R.S. The postprandial state does not impair endothelial function in women with Type 2 diabetes irrespective of glycaemic control. In Diabetologia 47: 1838-1846 (2004).
- The FIELD Study Investigators ( R. Scott, writing committee and Executive Committee member). The need for a large-scale trial of fibrate therapy in diabetes: the rationale and design of the Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) study. Cardiovascular Diabetology Dec 1;3:9, (2004)
- Strey CH, Young JM, Molyneux SL, George PM, Florkowski CM, Scott R.S, Frampton CM. Endothelium-ameliorating effects of statin therapy and coenzyme Q10 reductions in chronic heart failure. Atherosclerosis 179:201-6 (2005)
- Scott RS, Best J, Forder P, Taskinen M.R., Simes J, Barter P, Keech A (The FIELD study investigators). Fenofibrate Intervention and Event Lowering in Diabetes (FIELD) study: baseline characteristics and short-term effects of fenofibrate. Cardiovascular Diabetology Aug 22;4:13 ( 2005)