The purpose of this survey is to obtain information about the financial and other costs of eating disorders in New Zealand from those with a history of an eating disorder or those who have cared for someone with an eating disorder.
We are also interested in how individuals view the causes of their eating disorder, their experiences of treatment and factors related to recovery.
Who are the researchers?
This project is a collaborative project between researchers at:
- the University of Otago, Christchurch
- the Eating Disorders Association of New Zealand (EDANZ)
- Nicki Wilson
- Fiona Farrell
- the Canterbury District Health Board
- Rachel Lawson
- the University of North Carolina & Karolinska Institutet
Who can participate?
We invite you to participate if you:
- Have a current or past eating disorder
- Have cared for someone with an eating disorder
- Are 16 years or over
About the survey
We estimate that this survey will take approximately 30 minutes to complete, although if you choose to enter more detail in the free text boxes, that will take longer.
The survey questions ask about the following areas for you (or if you are a carer, for the person you cared for)
- Brief information about you
- Brief information about the eating condition and its physical effects
- Impact on the person’s / carer’s ability to work or study
- Your income so we can calculate the financial impacts of the eating disorder
- Type of treatment received and treatment costs
- Other costs of the eating disorder
- Your experiences of treatment
- Your thoughts on the causes of the eating disorder and helpful factors for recovery
- Any other matters you think are important- there is space to write your comments
The research team based at the University of Otago, Christchurch will treat all information gathered in the strictest confidence.
We will only report summaries in any reports and scientific publications, and for the free text comments, we will ensure that no information is published that could identify any individual.
The results of the survey will be published in a scientific journal and a version of it will be made publically available on the EDANZ website and to relevant agencies with an interest in eating disorders in New Zealand.
- Your participation in this research study is voluntary. You may choose not to participate
- If you decide to participate in this research survey, you may withdraw at any time
- Your survey will be allocated a unique research number
- If you give your contact details for the second part of the study, we will store your name and contact details separately from your survey data in a password protected file
- This research has been approved by the Health and Disability Ethics Committee (16/NTB/189) for research involving human subjects
For further information
For queries about this this survey or other aspects of the research
Contact Jenny Jordan
Tel 03 372 0400
To talk to someone who isn’t involved with the study
Contact an independent health and disability advocate
Tel 0800 555 050
Fax 0800 2 SUPPORT (0800 2787 7678)
For Maori health support
Contact Karen Keelan, Māori Advisor, Research
Tel 03 364 1658
Contact the health and disability ethics committee (HDEC) that approved this study
Tel 0800 4 ETHICS (0800 4 38442)
Complete the Cost of Eating Disorders survey
- If I decide to withdraw from the study, I agree that the information collected about me up to the point when I withdraw may continue to be processed.
- I consent to anonymised information I provide for this study being used in other related research that has ethical approval.
- By clicking on one of the links below, I am consenting to take part in this study.