Publications for MIHI
- Pitama S, Cave T, Huria, Lacey , Cuddy J, Frizelle F. Exploring Maori health worker perspectives on colorectal screening. New Zealand Medical Journal. 2012:Vol 125 No 1356.
- Lacey C. Differences in patients’ perceptions of Schizophrenia between Maori and New Zealand Europeans. Australian New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 2012
- Lacey C, Huria T, Beckert L, Gillies M, Pitama S. The Hui Process: A framework to enhance the doctor-patient relationship with Māori. New Zealand Medical Journal . 2011:224 No 1347.
- Pitama S, Ahuriri-Driscoll A, Huria T, Lacey C, Robertson P. The Value of Te Reo in Primary Health Care. Journal of Primary Health Care. 2011 3:2, 123-127
- Pitama S, Cameron V, Huria T, Tikao-Mason K, Faatoese A, Whalley G. Adjusting protocols in clinical research: finding the point of cultural/clinical fusion. Journal of Primary Care. 2011:3(1) 72-73.
- Pitama S, Wells JE, Faatoese A, Tikao-Mason K, Robertson P, Huria T, Gillies T, Doughty R, Whalley G, Toughton R, Sheerin I, Richards M, Cameron V. A kaupapa Maori approach to a community cohort study of heart disease in New Zealand. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 2011: 35(3)
- Pitama S, Huria T, Beckert L, Lacey C. Assessing the assessment: cultural competence and understandings of pain. Journal of the New Zealand Medical Association. 2011: 124 No 1328
- Ewen SC, Pitama SG, Robertson K, Kamaka ML. Indigenous Simulated Patient Programs: A Three-nation Comparison. Focus on Health Professional Education: A Multi-disciplinary Journal. July 2011: Vol 13 No 1. 35-43
- Faatoese A, Pitama S, Gillies T, Robertson P, Huria T, Tikao-Mason K, Doughty R, Whalley G, Richards M, Troughton R, Sheerin I, Wells E, Cameron V. Community screening for cardiovascular risk factors and levels of treatment in a rural Maori cohort. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. 2011. Vol 35. Issue 6. Pg. 517-523
- Faatoese A, Gillies M, Robertson P, Doughty R, Whalley G, Richards AM, Roughton R, Sheerin I, Pitama S, Cameron VA. Comparison of rates of diagnosed and undiagnosed cardiovascular disease and its risk factors among maori and non-maori communities in New Zealand. European Heart Journal. 2010: Vol 31. Pg. 747
- Jones, R., Pitama, S., Huria, T., Poole, P., McKimm, J., Pinnock, R., & Reid, P. Medical education to improve Māori health. New Zealand Medical Journal. 2010: 123(1316).
- Cunningham EH, Cameron VA, Evans J, Irvine V, Pitama S, Robertson P. The development of guidelines for handling samples and specimens collected for research involving Maori. New Zealand Medical Journal. 2007: 120(1264)
- Pitama S, Robertson P, Cram F, Gillies M, Huria T & Dallas-Katoa W. Meihana model: a clinical assessment framework. New Zealand Journal of Psychology 36(3): 118-25, 2007.
- Robertson PJ, Haitana T, Pitama S & Huriwai TT. A review of the workforce development literature for the Maori addiction treatment field in Aotearoa/New Zealand. Drug and Alcohol Review 25: 233-9, 2006
- Robertson P. 2005. Korero Te Hikoi: Maori Men Talk the Walk of Addiction Treatment. Christchurch, New Zealand: Christchurch School of Medicine and Health Science, University of Otago. (PhD – thesis).
- Robertson P, Pitama S, Huriwai T, Ahuriri-Driscoll A, Larsen J, Uta’i S, Haitana T. Developing services in te rohe o Ngai Tahu for Maori with gambling related problems. New Zealand Journal of Psychology. 2005. 34(1). P.35-43
- Robertson P, Pitama S, Ahuriri-Driscoll A, Larsen J, Uta’i S & Haitana T. A framework for developing Maori gambling services in Te Rohe o Ngai Tahu. Commissioned by He Oranga Pounamu, 2004.
- Schroder, R., Sellman, D., Bagshaw, S., Pitama, S., Frampton, C., Deering, D. & Todd, F. 2004. Factors affecting youth retention in alcohol and other drug treatment: a review of the literature. New Zealand Treatment Research Monograph. Alcohol, Drugs and Addiction.
- Cram, F., Henare, M., Hunt, T., Mauger, J., Pahiri, D., Pitama, S & Colleen Tuuta. Maori and science: three case studies. IRI, University of Auckland. August 2002.
- Kirk, R., Barnett, P., Clayden, C., Cumming, J., Heckert, K., Penrose, A., Pitama, S., Richards, D., & Siataga, P. Evaluation of the Pegasus Health Global Budget Contract. New Zealand Health Technology Assessment (NZHTA) ISBN 1-877235-40-7, 2002.
- Robertson, P., Eramiha, T., Harris, A., Armstrong, P., Todd, F., Pitama, S. & Huriwai, T. Te Aka Roa o Te Oranga (The fine reaching vines of wellness) – An outcome study of Maori focused alcohol and drug treatment programmes. In JD Sellman (Ed) New Zealand Treatment Research Monograph, Alcohol Drugs and Addiction (pp 56-58). Research Proceedings from Cutting Edge, 2001.
- Cram, F. & Pitama, S. (1998) “Ko toku whanau, ko toku mana” in Adair, V & Dixon, R (Eds). The Family in Aotearoa New Zealand. Longman pp 130-157.
- Pitama, S. (1997). “The effects of traditional and non-traditional adoption practices on Maori mental health.” In Adoption and Healing: Proceedings of the International Conference on Adoption and Healing.” New Zealand Adoption Education and Healing Trust. Wellington.
- Pitama, S. 12-month Evaluation Report: Physical Activity and Nutrition Project. Commissioned by He Oranga Pounamu, 2004.
- Pitama, S. & Uta’i. S. Organisational and Clinical Policy and Procedure Manual. Commissioned by He Oranga Pounamu, 2003.
- Pitama, S., Robertson, R., Gillies, M., Baxter, J., Ahuriri-Driscoll, A., Haitana, T., Wells, E., Toop, L., Gower, S., Richards, D. & Richardson, A. Focussing on Ngai Tahu 2025: The Ngati Wheke Pilot. Commissioned report for Ngai Tahu Development Corporation, 2003.
- Robertson, P., Pitama, S., Eramiha, T., Harris, A., Armstrong, P., Todd, F., Huriwai, T. (2003). Te Aka Roa O Te Oranga: Development of an Alcohol and Other Drug Treatment Evaluation Tool. Report prepared for New Zealand Alcohol Advisory Council.
- Ahuriri-Driscoll, A. & Pitama, S. Intersectoral Working Report. Commissioned by He Orangey Pounamu, 2002.
- Pitama, S. & Ahuriri-Driscoll, A. Evaluation of He Oranga Pounamu. Commissioned by He Oranga Pounamu, 2001.
- Cram, F. & Pitama, S. (1998) “Ko toku whanau, ko toku mana” in Adair, V & Dixon, R (Eds). The Family in Aotearoa New Zealand. Longman, pp.130-157.
- Cram, F. & Pitama, S. He Oranga Poutama. Second year evaluation report. Commissioned by Te Puni Kokiri. July. 64pp, 1997.
- Cram, F & Pitama, S. Evaluation of Maori Family Violence Programmes. Commissioned by Te Puni Kokiri, Wellington. Prepared in Conjunction with the James Henare Maori Research Centre