Apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Obstetrics and Medical Gynaecology (PGDipOMG)Apply Now
The papers are designed for family planning trainees, midwives, general practitioners, and candidates for the Postgraduate Certificate and Diploma in Obstetrics and Medical Gynaecology.
Applicants for the full Postgraduate Diploma in Obstetrics and Medical Gynaecology shall have been admitted to a medical degree of a university in New Zealand or have been approved for medical practice in the country of residence while completing the programme.
Structure of the Programme
- OBGY 712 - Obstetrics and Medical Gynaecology
- OBGY 713 - Pregnancy, Birth Newborn and Puerperal Care
- OBGY 715 - General Gynaecology
- OBGY 716 - Gynaecology Special Topics
- OBGY 717 - Obstetrics and Gynaecology Clinical Training
- OBGY 718 - Obstetrics and Gynaecology Residential Course 1 - Christchurch
- OBGY 719 - Obstetrics and Gynaecology Residential Course 2 - Christchurch
How are these papers taught?
- The Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Obstetrics and Gynaecology consists of seven papers and is taught over a full year. Candidates may select papers worth up to 60 points only per semester.
- Four papers (OBGY 712, 713, 715, 716) are taught by evening audioconferences over the year covering topics in both obstetrics and medical gynaecology. All are assessed by assignments and multiple choice questions.
- Local tutorial programmes will be co-ordinated through the Departments of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in the University of Otago's three Schools of Medicine.
- Two papers (OBGY 718 and 719 - 6 points each) are residential courses held in Christchurch.
- One paper (OBGY 717 - 12 points) is a clinical paper requiring evidence of practical work and culminating in an Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) to be held in Auckland or Christchurch.
- OBGY 712, OBGY 713, OBGY 715, OBGY 716, OBGY 718 and OBGY 719 shall normally together require 12 months part time study.
- A candidate, with the approval of the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine may credit up to 54 points from components of the Auckland Postgraduate Diploma in Obstetrics and Medical Gynaecology.
Applications close 1 May and 1 November.
See also otago.ac.nz/dsm/obstetrics/postgrad