An integrated treatment of mathematics (algebra, matrices, calculus, optimisation) and modelling techniques, with an emphasis on applications.
This paper is a prerequisite for some higher-level finance and economic papers. It assumes a minimal background in mathematics and aims to give the students an introduction to each topic.
|Paper title||Business Mathematics|
|Points||18 points 18 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$829.65|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,993.30|
- FINQ 102, MATH 102, MATH 160, QUAN 102
- Schedule C
- Teaching staff
- Associate Professor I M Premachandra
- Teaching Arrangements
- Lectures and quizzes
- Essential Mathematics for Economics and Business, Teresa Bradley and Paul and Patton, 3rd or 2nd edition (highly recommended).
- Course outline
- View the course outline for FINC 102
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Critical thinking, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of this paper, you should be able to:
- Understand and use equations, formulae and mathematical expressions and relationships in a variety of contexts
- Apply the knowledge in mathematics (algebra, matrices, calculus, optimisation) in solving business problems
- Demonstrate mathematical skills required in mathematically intensive areas in commerce, such as economics and finance
- Demonstrate critical thinking, modelling and problem-solving skills in a variety of contexts