Written and oral French consolidating grounding already acquired. The objectives
are vocabulary expansion, a sound knowledge of language structures and the ability
to communicate in French.
Have you studied French at school and wish to enhance your command of this major world
language? FREN 232 will consolidate and expand your knowledge of French grammar and
vocabulary and give you opportunities to develop your skills in listening to, speaking,
reading and writing French.
|Domestic Tuition Fees
|International Tuition Fees
^ Top of page
- FREN 132 or FREN 102.
If you have previous knowledge of the language you can
still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application
process to the Review and Submit page or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- FREN 111 or FREN 211 or FREN 333 or any other more advanced French language paper
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- The prerequisite does not apply to students who have had more than three years of
schooling in French.
- Teaching staff
- Dr Barbara Stone
- Suitable for students who have completed 4-5 years of French at secondary school (NCEA
Level 2 or 3) or who have completed FREN 132 or who have an appropriate level of French.
- Paper Structure
- The grammar content of the paper covers revision of the first seven tenses, adjectives
and adverbs, pronouns and relative pronouns. Course materials provide cultural content
from pains au chocolat to Coco Chanel. Clips from recent French films are incorporated
into classes. There are four contact hours a week - two language classes, one tutorial
and one oral class with a native speaker.
- A set of Course Materials is available for purchase from UniPrint or downloadable
The "French Grammar" handbook is recommended and may be purchased
from UniPrint or borrowed from the Library.
- Course outline
the course outline for FREN 232
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information
about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete FREN 232 will have enhanced functionality and communicative
ability in French language (listening, speaking, reading and writing) at around B1
level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages(CEFR). They will
also have a richer awareness and appreciation of French culture.
^ Top of page
- Teaching method
- This paper is taught On Campus
- Learning management system
||Mon : 15:00-15:50
||Wed : 15:00-15:50
||Fri : 11:00-11:50 or Fri : 12:00-12:50 or Fri : 13:00-13:50
||Tues : 14:00-14:50 or Tues : 15:00-15:50 or Tues : 16:00-16:50