Written and oral French consolidating grounding already acquired. The objectives are vocabulary expansion, a sound knowledge of language structures and the ability to communicate in French.
Have you studied French at school and wish to enhance your command of this major world language? FREN 232 will consolidate and expand your knowledge of French grammar and vocabulary and give you opportunities to develop your skills in listening to, speaking, reading and writing French.
|Paper title||Intermediate French|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$835.20|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,435.00|
- FREN 132 or FREN 102.
If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Confirm page or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- FREN 111 or FREN 211 or FREN 333 or any other more advanced French language paper
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- The prerequisite does not apply to students who have had more than three years of schooling in French.
- Teaching staff
- Dr Barbara Stone
- Suitable for students who have completed 4-5 years of French at secondary school (NCEA Level 2 or 3) or who have completed FREN 132 or who have an appropriate level of French.
- Paper Structure
- The grammar content of the paper covers revision of the first seven tenses, adjectives and adverbs, pronouns and relative pronouns. Course materials provide cultural content from pains au chocolat to Coco Chanel. Clips from recent French films are incorporated into classes. There are four contact hours a week - two language classes, one tutorial and one oral class with a native speaker.
- A set of Course Materials is available for purchase from UniPrint or downloadable
The "French Grammar" handbook is recommended and may be purchased from UniPrint or borrowed from the Library.
- Course outline
- View the course outline for FREN 232
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete FREN 232 will have enhanced functionality and communicative ability in French language (listening, speaking, reading and writing) at around B1 level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages(CEFR). They will also have a richer awareness and appreciation of French culture.
- Teaching method
- This paper is taught On Campus
- Learning management system
|Weeks: 9-12,14-16,18-22||Mon : 15:00-15:50|
|Weeks: 9-12,14-22||Wed : 15:00-15:50|
|Weeks: 9-11,14-19,21||Fri : 11:00-11:50
or Fri : 12:00-12:50
or Fri : 13:00-13:50
|Weeks: 9-12,14-19,21-22||Tues : 14:00-14:50
or Tues : 15:00-15:50
or Tues : 16:00-16:50