A practical language paper focusing on professional situations (business, law, commerce).
Do you want to develop your competence in French with an emphasis on practical, real-life situations? FREN 233 will consolidate your grammar and vocabulary and enhance your all-round functionality (listening, speaking, reading and writing) in French, a major world language.
|Paper title||French for Professional Purposes|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$810.90|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,390.00|
- FREN 232 or FREN 111. You may be able to take this paper without the prerequisite if you can demonstrate the required ability. Use the special permission process to apply to do this; please proceed through the application process to reach the window for Special Permission. Please list any qualifications you have gained e.g. NCEA, and years studied, as well as a note of any other exposure to this language.This request together with any documentation you provide or request for the transfer of credit(s) will then be submitted for approval.
- FREN 231
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Paper Structure
- The grammar content of the paper includes the subjunctive, demonstrative adjectives and pronouns, possessive adjectives and pronouns, interrogative adjectives and pronouns, the present participle. Course materials provide cultural content and context. Clips from recent French films are incorporated into the course. There are three languages classes a week, and an oral class which has a focus on practical situations such as job interviews and presentations.
- A set of Course Materials is available for purchase from UniPrint or downloadable from Blackboard.The "French Grammar" handbook is recommended and may be purchased from UniPrint or borrowed from the Library.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, cultural understanding, global perspective, self-motivation, lifelong learning. View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete FREN 233 will have enhanced functionality and communicative ability in French (listening, speaking, reading and writing) at a solid B1 on the CEFR. They will also have a richer awareness and appreciation of French culture.
- Course outline
- View the course outline for FREN 233
- FREN 233 is the follow-on paper for students who have passed FREN 232 or who have an appropriate level of French.
- Teaching method
- This paper is taught On Campus
- Learning management system
|Weeks: 28-34,36-41||Tues : 10:00-10:50
Wed, Fri : 11:00-11:50
|Weeks: 29-34,36-39||Tues : 12:00-12:50
or Tues : 14:00-14:50
or Thurs : 10:00-10:50