The development of skills in German language to an intermediate level.
GERM 231 is an intermediate language course designed to consolidate and build on the
oral and written skills students have already acquired in GERM 230 or elsewhere. The
course will help you fill in gaps in your knowledge of the language and ensure that
you have a sound basis with which to continue your study of the German language and
German-speaking culture. At the completion of GERM 231 you will have reached the B1+
level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able
to sit the internationally recognised Goethe-Zertifikat B1 at Otago.
^ Top of page
- GERM 230
- GERM 114 or GERM 331 or any other more advanced German language paper.
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- The prerequisite may be waived for students with an equivalent level of German language,
or a background in NCEA Level 3 German.
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Peter Barton
- More information link
further information about GERM 231View
details of the online placement test
- Paper Structure
- The paper covers the following topics:
- Intermediate vocabulary (3500 words)
grammatical structures (conditional/subjunctive mood, pluperfect tense, temporal clauses,
genitive case, advanced use of prepositions)
- Critical reasoning and rhetorical
- Aspects of German-speaking culture
- Aspekte 1 Textbook and Workbook Klett-Langenscheidt Verlag
- Teaching Arrangements
- The class meets three times a week for one hour with the lecturer and has an additional
weekly conversation class with a German native speaker.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, lifelong learning, communication, information literacy, self-motivation,
teamwork. View more information
about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the main points
of clear standard German encountered regularly in familiar situations
with most situations that arise while travelling in German speaking countries
simple connected text on topics familiar to you or of personal interest
your previous experiences as well as your hopes and ambitions for the future
- Suitable for all students who have completed GERM 231, NCEA 3 or who have an appropriate
level of German.
^ Top of page
- Teaching method
- This paper is taught On Campus
- Learning management system
||Mon, Tues, Thurs : 15:00-15:50
||Wed : 15:00-15:50