The development of skills in German language to an intermediate level.
GERM 231 is an intermediate language paper designed to consolidate and build on the oral and written skills students have already acquired in GERM 230 or elsewhere. The paper will help you fill in gaps in your knowledge of the language and ensure that you have a sound basis with which to continue your study of the German language and German-speaking culture. At the completion of GERM 231 you will have reached the B1+ level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able to sit the internationally recognised Goethe-Zertifikat B1 at Otago, should you choose.
|Paper title||Intermediate German 1|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$851.85|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,585.00|
- GERM 230.
If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Submit page or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- GERM 114 or GERM 331 or any other more advanced German language paper.
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- The prerequisite may be waived for students with an equivalent level of German language, or a background in NCEA Level 3 German.
- Suitable for all students who have completed GERM 231 or NCEA 3 or who have an appropriate level of German
- More information link
- View the online Placement Test:https:"www.goethe.de/de/spr/kup/tsd.html
- Teaching staff
- Lecturer: Dr Simon Ryan
- Paper Structure
- The paper covers the following topics:
- Intermediate vocabulary (3500 words)
- Intermediate grammatical structures (conditional/subjunctive mood, pluperfect tense, temporal clauses, genitive case, advanced use of prepositions)
- Critical reasoning and rhetorical skills
- Aspects of German-speaking culture
- Teaching Arrangements
- The class meets four times a week for one hour with the lecturer.
- Aspekte neu 1 B1 Textbook and Workbook Klett Verlag
- Course outline
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Information literacy, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon completion of the paper, you will be able to:
- Understand the main points of clear, standard German encountered regularly in familiar situations
- Deal with most situations that arise while travelling in German-speaking countries
- Produce simple, connected text on topics familiar to you or of personal interest
- Describe your previous experiences, as well as your hopes and ambitions for the future