German written and oral communication skills at an advanced level.
A language paper for advanced learners of German, GERM 334 engages students in a series of discussions on topics of German society, language and culture. While the focus of this paper is on active use of language, finer points of German grammar will also be taught.
|Paper title||Advanced German 1|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$810.90|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,390.00|
- GERM 331 or GERM 201. You may be able to take this paper without the prerequisite if you can demonstrate the required ability. Use the special permission process to apply to do this; please proceed through the application process to reach the window for Special Permission. Please list any qualifications you have gained e.g. NCEA, and years studied, as well as a note of any other exposure to this language. This request together with any documentation you provide or request for the transfer of credit(s) will then be submitted for approval.
- GERM 332, GERM 301, GERM 335 or any other more advanced German language paper.
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Antonie Alm
- More information link
further information about GERM 334
View details of the online placement test
- Paper Structure
- Classes are conducted in German and are based on two textbook units, complemented by a novel and online materials.
- Aspekte 3 Textbook and Workbook Klett-Langenscheidt VerlagGlattauer, D. (2006). Gut gegen Nordwind. Goldmann Verlag
- Teaching Arrangements
- The class meets three times a week for one hour and has a social networking component.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, lifelong learning, communication, information literacy, self-motivation, teamwork. View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of GERM 334, students will have advanced to Level C1 of
the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able to:
- Understand specialised articles, related to a field of personal interest
- Understand most television programmes and films without too much effort
- Formulate ideas and opinions and relate their contribution to those of other speakers
- Present clear, detailed descriptions of complex subjects
- Write about complex subjects in a letter, an essay or a report
- Select a style appropriate to the reader in mind
- Suitable for undergraduate students in German who have completed GERM 331 or who have an advanced level of German.
- Teaching method
- This paper is taught On Campus
- Learning management system
|Weeks: 9-14,16-22||Tues, Wed, Thurs : 15:00-15:50|