General principles of the law of wills and succession, trusts and gifts, with an introduction to taxation and estate planning.
Approximately 60% of the paper is devoted to the law of trusts. The aim is to give you an understanding of the nature, creation and administration of express trusts. Attention will also be given to the various remedies available for breach of trust. The remaining 40% of the paper examines various aspects related to the making of wills, the administration of deceased estates, the intestacy rules and claims against deceased estates.
|Paper title||Wills and Trusts|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$646.20|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,856.00|
- LAWS 203 and 66 further LAWS points
- Pre or Corequisite
- Any 200-level LAWS paper not already passed
- Limited to
- LLB, LLB(Hons)
- Not all optional papers will be available in any given year.
- More information link
- View more information on the Faculty of Law's website
- Teaching staff
- Professor Nicola Peart
- Course materials provided.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship,
Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students will gain an understanding of the nature, creation and administration of express trusts
- Students will understand the various aspects related to the making of wills, the administration of deceased estates, the intestacy rules and claims against deceased estates.