An examination of Māori attitudes to whenua (land) through tikanga (customary lore), and the influence of colonialism in the Māori world using Land Court Minute Books.
Understanding Māori and their relationship to their whenua is the key to understanding Māori politics, economics and social circumstances. The course will explore the effects of colonialism on Māori and their whenua. This will help students gain a deeper understanding of the political, economic and social circumstances which have shaped Te Ao Māori in to the 21st century.
|Paper title||Toitū te Whenua - Land, Lore and Colonialism|
|Teaching period||First Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,055.38|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,100.82|
- 36 300-level ANTH, GEOG, HIST, MAOR, MFCO or POLS points or 30 LAWS points at 300-level or above
- MAOX 404
- Also available through the Distance Learning Programme.
- email@example.com or 03 479 8674
- More information link
- For further information on Māori Studies
- Teaching staff
- Dr Paerau Warbrick
- Paper Structure
- Internal Assessment 100%
- Learning Outcomes
- At the completion of this course students will be able to:
- Understand historical and contemporary and issues relating to Māori and their whenua
- To analyse, identify and offer explanations pertaining to Māori customary lore relating to whenua from a variety of sources
- Utilise and understand the possibilities for and limitations of working with House of Representative Reports and Native Land Court Minute Books
- Understand Government and judicial systems relating to Māori and their whenua
- Understand the difficulties experienced by Māori for the retention and utilisation of their whenua
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, lifelong learning, communication, critical thinking,
cultural understanding, ethics.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper is taught via distance learning.
- Course Reader online
- Teaching method
- This paper is taught through Distance Learning
- Learning management system