This 'hands-on' paper focuses on the effective and safe use of cameras in different environments, the shooting of footage that is professional in quality, appropriate in terms of the subject and shot in a manner that makes the editing of the footage easily achievable.
|Paper title||The Techniques of Natural History and Science Filmmaking 1|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,256.92|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,151.03|
- Limited to
- PGCertSciComm, PGDipSciComm, MSciComm, MAppSc
- May be taken only by students enrolled for Science and Natural History Filmmaking endorsements.
- Course outline
- The course outline will be supplied at the beginning of the semester
- More information link
- View more information on the Centre for Science Communication's website
- Teaching staff
- Robert Brown
- Paper Structure
- Centre-based seminars usually occur in 2.06 or 1.08. Transportation will be supplied on days when a field trip is involved.
- Teaching Arrangements
- All schedules can be subject to change due to weather and other contingencies. When changes have to occur, you will be alerted to those changes by email..
- 'Documentary Storytelling - Creative Non Fiction on Screen'. Sheila Curran Bernard. Third Edition. Focal Press.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Cultural understanding, Environmental literacy, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students will develop competency in the following areas:
- The operation and use of cameras, tripods, jib arms, tracks and other camera mounts
- The framing of images and motivated camera movement
- How to approach and film animals safely while keeping them at ease
- Filming editable sequences
- Recording sound in the field
- Filming in challenging environments
- Working with limited equipment and support
- Macro filming and the creation of time lapse sequences
- The Art of Seeing - how to visualise and compose great shots
- Setting up and working from hides/blinds