There are two pathways for this degree.
Students who have completed the Health Sciences First Year course may apply for admission to the third stage of the programme.
Alternatively, students who have completed the third year requirements for the Bachelor of Dental Technology (BDentTech) degree may apply for admission to the fourth stage of the programme.
The Faculty Operations Manager
Faculty of Dentistry
University of Otago
PO Box 647
Tel 64 3 479 7037
Fax 64 3 479 0673
Bachelor of Dental Technology with Honours (BDentTech(Hons)) (Option B)
|1st - 3rd years|| |
|4th stage||DTEC 490 Dental Technology Research 3||120|
Note: The due date for applications for Enrolment in the Fourth Stage is 1 November in the year in which the applicant completes the requirements for the ordinary BDentTech degree.
Bachelor of Dental Technology with Honours (BDentTech(Hons)) (Option A)
Prerequisite: Health Sciences First Year Course
DTEC 102 Dental Technology 1
DTEC 103 Oral Health Sciences for Dental Technology
DTEC 105 Dental Materials 3
DTEC 204 Applied Design for Orthdontics
MART 205 Marketing the Professional Practice
|3rd stage|| |
DTEC 202 Dental Technology 2
DTEC 203 Dental Technology 3
DTEC 205 Dental Materials 4
DTEC 303 Practice Management
DTEC 491 Dental Technology Research 1
|4th stage|| |
DTEC 302 Dental Technology 4
DTEC 492 Dental Technology Research 2
Regulations for the Degree of Bachelor of Dental Technology with Honours (BDentTech(Hons))
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the Honours programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) on the advice of the Faculty of Dentistry.
- Applicants who have taken the Health Sciences First Year course will be admitted to the Honours programme if they have passed the course with a minimum grade average of B- and passed CHEM 191 and PHSI 191 with a B- grade or better, and have passed DTEC 102, DTEC 103, DTEC 105, DTEC 204, and MART 205, with a B+ grade average or better.
- An applicant who has passed the final year of the Bachelor of Dental Technology programme with an average grade of at least B+ for the prescribed 300-level papers may be admitted to the Honours programme.
- An applicant who holds the degree of Bachelor of Dental Technology shall not be admitted to the Honours programme nor may a student graduate in the degree of Bachelor of Dental Technology while enrolled for the 400-level Honours course.
Structure of the Programme
- Every programme shall consist of the papers for one of the options prescribed in the Schedule and shall normally be pursued over four years of full-time study.
- In order to obtain the degree of Bachelor of Dental Technology with Honours a candidate shall complete the requirements within two years of admission to the Third Stage or within one year of admission to the Fourth Stage of the Honours programme.
Withdrawal from the Programme
- A candidate whose results are not satisfactory may be required, by the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry, to withdraw from the Honours programme.
- When a candidate withdraws from the Honours programme, voluntarily or otherwise, the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry may recommend that the ordinary degree of Bachelor of Dental Technology be awarded or determine the papers which shall be credited towards that degree.
Standard of Award of the Degree
- The degree may be awarded with First Class Honours, with Second Class Honours (Division I), with Second Class Honours (Division II), or with Third Class Honours. The class of Honours awarded shall be determined by the Board of Examiners with the approval of the Faculty of Dentistry on the performance of the candidate in his or her research papers (DTEC 491, and DTEC 492; or DTEC 490).
- A candidate who fails to obtain Honours may, on the recommendation of the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry, be awarded the degree of Bachelor of Dental Technology.
The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) may, in exceptional circumstances, approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.