Bachelor of Dental Surgery with Honours (BDS(Hons))
|Fifth year|| |
DENT 561 General Practice Dentistry for Honours
DENT 562 Contemporary Dentistry
DENT 580 Dental Honours Research Project 1
DENT 581 Dental Honours Research Project 2
Note: Papers in the First, Second, Third and Fourth Years are the same as in the Schedule for the ordinary degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery.
Regulations for the Degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery with Honours (BDS(Hons))
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) on the advice of the Faculty of Dentistry.
- Applicants must be current candidates for the degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery in the Fourth Year of the programme.
- To be considered for admission to the programme, applicants must have passed the Fourth Year course for the degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery with a grade average of at least A-.
- Eligible applicants will be ranked according to their Fourth Year grade averages and the number of students admitted to the Honours programme shall normally be limited to six in any one year.
Structure of the Programme
- Every programme shall consist of the requirements of the First, Second, Third and Fourth Year courses for the degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery together with the prescribed Fifth Year papers.
- No student may take a paper additional to those prescribed in the Fifth Year of the programme without the approval of the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry.
- The Fifth Year course shall be undertaken only on a full-time basis.
Withdrawal from the Programme
- Candidates whose progress is not satisfactory, based on their mid-year Progress Assessment and supervisor’s report, may be required to withdraw from the Honours programme by Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry.
- When a candidate withdraws from the Honours programme, voluntarily or otherwise, the Dean of the Faculty of Dentistry may recommend that the candidate may proceed to the ordinary degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery, and determine the papers which shall be credited towards that degree.
Standard of Award of the Degree
The degree may be awarded with First Class Honours, with Second Class Honours (Division I), with Second Class Honours (Division II), or with Third Class Honours. The class of Honours awarded shall be recommended by the Board of Examiners and approved by the Faculty of Dentistry on the performance of the candidate in the Fifth Year papers (DENT 561, DENT 562, DENT 580 and DENT 581).
On the recommendation of the Faculty, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) may, in exceptional circumstances, approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.