Apply for the Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHighE)Apply Now
The Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHighE) is a qualification for those who teach tertiary students in universities and polytechnics. It is a part-time programme consisting of two 30 point papers that can be completed in a minimum of one year and a maximum of three. Students can continue and complete the Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education (PGDipHighE).
The Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHighE) is also available through Distance Learning.
Visit the HEDC Postgraduate Courses page for further information about the aims of the programme and graduate profiles.
Higher Education Development Centre
- Email email@example.com
- Visit the Higher Education Development Centre
- Visit the HEDC Postgraduate Courses page on the HEDC website
Regulations for the Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHighE)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Convener of the Interdivisional Board of Studies in Higher Education.
- Every applicant must
- be a graduate and, normally, be engaged in tertiary teaching; or
- if enrolling for a programme for an endorsed certificate, be a graduate and, normally, be engaged in clinical teaching at tertiary level; or
- have alternative qualifications or experience acceptable to the Board of Studies.
Structure of the Programme
The programme of study shall consist of
- HEDU 501 Critical Reflection on Higher Education (30 points); and
- HEDU 502 Learning Theory and Practice in Higher Education (30 points).
Where the postgraduate certificate is endorsed in Clinical Education, students will undertake study in the specialist area of clinical teaching within each paper.
- HEDU 501 and 502 may be taken in any order.
- HEDU 501 and HEDU 502 are also available through Distance Learning as HEDX 501 and HEDX 502.
Duration of the Programme
The programme is "self paced" and students may negotiate the duration of study for each paper within the following:
- A candidate shall normally follow a part-time programme of study of not less than one academic year.
- A candidate shall satisfy the requirements for the certificate within three years of admission to the programme.
The postgraduate certificate may be endorsed in Clinical Education.
The Convener of the Interdivisional Board of Higher Education may in exceptional circumstances approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.
Note: The due date for applications for first enrolment in the programme is 1 December of the year preceding that in which the programme is to be commenced.