Apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Community Dentistry (PGDipComDent)Apply Now
The Postgraduate Diploma in Community Dentistry (PGDipComDent) is a one-year (full-time) or two-year (part-time) programme for a person who wishes to undertake advanced study in dental public health, but who does not intend to pursue a specialist career in dental public health.
Postgraduate Diploma in Community Dentistry (PGDipComDent)
Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Community Dentistry (PGDipComDent)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) on the advice of the Faculty of Dentistry.
- Every applicant shall have fulfilled one of the following conditions:
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery of a university in New Zealand; or
- have been admitted with the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the diploma.
Structure of the Programme
- The programme of study shall consist of two prescribed papers:
Duration of the Programme
- The duration of the programme shall be the equivalent of not less than one academic year.
- The programme may be undertaken on a full-time or part-time basis. Part-time study must normally be completed within three years.
- Any paper in which a candidate is enrolled in any year shall be examined in that year.
- A candidate who fails an examination may, on the recommendation of the examiners, be permitted by the Faculty to be re-examined at another time.
Level of Award of the Diploma
The diploma may be awarded with distinction or with credit.
On the recommendation of the Faculty, the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Health Sciences) may, in exceptional circumstances, approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.
- The due date for applications for enrolment in the programme is 31 May in the year preceding that in which the applicant wishes to commence the programme.
- Before being admitted, overseas applicants will normally be required to undertake and satisfactorily complete at the School of Dentistry such work as the Faculty may require.
- All applicants who have not gained their Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of New Zealand or the University of Otago will have to fulfil an English language requirement.