Apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Music (PGDipMus)Apply Now
The Postgraduate Diploma in Music (PGDipMus) requires one year of full-time or its equivalent in part-time study. It is intended for students who are composers or performers or both.
Candidates for the Diploma are required to have been admitted to the Bachelor of Music (MusB) degree, or have the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the diploma.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Music equips graduates for careers in music performance, composition, theatre, music education, technology and the media.
Department of Music
Postgraduate Diploma in Music (PGDipMus)
Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Music (PGDipMus)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Humanities).
- Every applicant shall either
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Music, or
- have been admitted with the status of one who is entitled to proceed to the diploma.
Subjects of Study
The diploma may be awarded in Composition, or Performance, or Studio Production.
Structure of the Programme
- Every programme of study shall comprise 400-level Music papers worth a total of 120 points; one of MUSI 431, MUSI 441, MUSI 445, MUSI 446, and three of MUSI 403, MUSI 407, MUSI 410 and MUSI 442.
- Any required dissertation or research project must be submitted no later than 1 November.
Prerequisites, Corequisites and Restrictions
Every programme of study shall satisfy the requirements for prerequisites, corequisites and restrictions which are set out in the Prescriptions (published in the Guide to Enrolment).
Duration of the Programme
The programme may be taken by full-time candidates in one year, or by part-time candidates over more than one year. Any paper in which a candidate is enrolled in any year shall be examined in that year.
Level of Award of the Diploma
The diploma may be awarded with distinction or with credit.
The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Humanities) may in exceptional circumstances approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.
Note: The due date for applications for first enrolment in the programme is 10 December. Late applications will be considered.