The University of Otago's Postgraduate Diploma in Natural History Filmmaking and Communication (PGDipNHFC) is a one-year programme that has been developed in partnership with Natural History New Zealand Ltd.
Department of Science Communication
Postgraduate Diploma in Natural History Filmmaking and Communication (PGDipNHFC)
SCOM 402 The Craft of Storytelling
SCOM 405 Science and Natural History Film
SCOM 411 The Technique of Natural History and Science Filmmaking Part 1
SCOM 412 The Technique of Natural History and Science Filmmaking Part 2
SCOM 470 Literature Review and Pilot Film
One further approved SCOM paper
Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Natural History Filmmaking and Communication (PGDipNHFC)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences), on the advice of the Director of the Centre for Science Communication.
- Every applicant shall either
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Science; or
- have alternative qualifications acceptable to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
Structure of the Programme
Every programme of study shall satisfy the requirements set out in the papers listed above for the diploma.
Duration of the Programme
- The programme may be taken by full-time candidates in one year.
- A candidate shall satisfy the requirements for the diploma within three years of admission to the programme.
Level of Award of the Diploma
The diploma may be awarded with distinction or with credit.
The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences) may in exceptional circumstances approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.