Apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Physical Education (PGDipPE)Apply Now
The Postgraduate Diploma in Physical Education (PGDipPE) gives students the option of gaining a postgraduate qualification in one year while retaining the possibility of completing a Master of Physical Education (MPhEd) degree at a later stage. The programme requires production of a research project with additional approved papers.
The PGDipPE can incorporate and draw from a variety of academic areas, with the emphasis on supporting a research project that allows students the experience of independent research.
Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Physical Education (PGDipPE)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences).
- Every applicant must either
- have been admitted to the degree of Bachelor of Physical Education, or
- have a qualification acceptable to the Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences) as evidence of ability to proceed to the diploma.
Structure of the Programme
- Every programme of study shall normally contain papers worth at least 120 points, including PHSE 581, PHSE 591 or an approved research methods paper at 500-level and 60 points of approved papers at 500-level, at least 40 points of which must come from PHSE papers.
- Any required research report must be submitted no later than 1 November.
Prerequisites, Corequisites and Restrictions
Every programme of study shall satisfy the requirements for prerequisites, corequisites, and restrictions set out in the Prescriptions (published in the Guide to Enrolment).
Duration of the Programme
The programme may be taken by full-time candidates in one year, or by part-time candidates over more than one year. Any paper in which a candidate is enrolled in any year shall be examined in that year.
Level of Award of the Diploma
The diploma may be awarded with distinction or with credit.
The Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Sciences) may in exceptional circumstances approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.