Resources from the Centre for Theology and Public Issues
This section contains resources produced by the Centre, articles and talks given by the Director and associates of the Centre, and other useful links.
Talks and articles by Centre Director Professor Andrew Bradstock
- ODT 'Opinion' piece on the building collapse in Bangladesh - 1 May, 2013
- ODT 'Opinion' piece on Margaret Thatcher and religion - 12 April, 2013
- In Search of the Good Society - 18 July, 2012 (PDF,283 KB).
- Sermon preached on Ascension Day Ecumenical Service, All Saint's Church, Dunedin - 17 May, 2012 (PDF, 106 KB)
- Sermon preached at Leith Valley Presbyterian Church, Dunedin - 6 May, 2012 (PDF, 131 KB)
- ODT 'Faith and Reason' piece on the Salvation Army - 17 February, 2012
- ODT 'Opinion' piece with Jonathan Boston on rebuilding Christchurch - 14 April, 2011
- ODT 'Opinion' piece with Murray Rae & John Stenhouse on the Christchurch Earthquake - 16 March, 2011
- ODT 'Faith and Reason' piece on John Lennon - 17 December, 2010
- "'Imagine there's no Heaven': John Lennon, atheism and the possibility of public theology" - University of Otago Open Lecture, 7 October 2010 and 18 November 2010 (PDF, 282 KB)
- "What does the 'comeback' of religion mean for us?" - Article in Candour, issue 09, October 2010 (PDF, 340 KB)
- 'Using God-talk in a secular society: time for a new conversation on public issues?' - University of Otago Winter Lecture 2010, delivered in Wellington and Auckland, 15/16 September (PDF, 238 KB)
- 'Public Theology? No thanks, I'll stick with the normal kind' - Inaugural Professorial Lecture delivered at the University of Otago, 2 June 2010 (PDF, 128 KB)
- 'That the evil of war shall not be again' - sermon preached at Knox College, Dunedin, ANZAC Day, 2010 (PDF, 103 KB)
- 'God in the Gallery series: Honthorst's "Christ before the High Priest"' - sermon preached at Christchurch Cathedral, 21 March 2010 (PDF 54 KB)
- 'A Global Economic Crisis: Too good an opportunity to waste?': NZ Bioethics Conference Public Lecture, Salmond Hall, Dunedin, 31 January 2010 (PDF, 132 KB)
- 'The Labourers in the Vineyard': sermon preached at First Church, Dunedin, 11 October 2009 (PDF, 130 KB)
- Mind the Gap: Inequality, Theology and the Quest for an Inclusive Society, University of Otago Open Lecture, 6 October 2009 (PDF, 160 KB)
- 'The Bread of Life': sermon preached in St David's Church, Auckland, August 2009 (PDF, 64 KB)
- 'Profits Without Honour? Economics, spirituality and the current global recession': University of Auckland School of Theology Public Lecture, 5 August 2009 (PDF, 212KB)
- 'Opinion' - Professor Andrew Bradstock on Theology and Public Issues,Otago Magazine, issue 23, page 28 (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- 'Comment' in Spanz, June 2009 (PDF, 31 KB)
- 'Economic Inequality: a serious theological issue?' article in Candour, April 2009 (PDF, 140 KB)
- 'Jesus the Light of the World': sermon preached in Knox Church, Dunedin, March 2009 (PDF, 70 KB)
- 'Hope': sermon preached in St Paul's Cathedral, Dunedin, Commonwealth Sunday, March 2009 (PDF, 65 KB)
Andrew's Inaugural Professorial Lecture is available as an audio and a video podcast on the Centre's podcast webpage.
Other lectures, conversations and discussions organised by the Centre, featuring visitors to the Centre, can also be found on our podcast webpage.
Please scroll down to find the podcasts you are looking for.
Centre Director Andrew Bradstock 'in conversation' with Noel Cheer, Face TV - recorded 8 October 2012
A recent interview with Andrew Bradstock on Just Thinking: The Sacred & the Secular.
And then speaking on God & Government, and why Christians should exercise their right to vote.
'The Bible in the Public Square' - paper by Andrew Bradstock presented at the 'Great and Manifold' conference to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the publication of the King James Bible, Beehive Theatrette, Wellington, 27 August 2011. [AUDIO ONLY]
'Mind the Gap: Why inequality affects us all' - TEDx Dunedin presentation, 16 April 2010.
Talks and articles by other friends of the Centre
- Sermon preached by Professor Jonathan Boston at St John's in the City, Wellington, during the 'Lament, Hope and Action' conference - 7 October 2012
- Thomas Noakes-Duncan - 'Voluntary Euthanasia in New Zealand: An Analysis of Compassion, Autonomy, and Secularism in the Public Sphere' - April 2012 (PDF, 356 KB)
- Emeritus Professor Colin Gibson - 'Building Jerusalem: Hymns & Social Justice' - 20 March 2012 (PDF)
- Professor Jonathan Boston - 'A New Global Climate Change Treaty - Can Humanity Deliver? Our Challenge after Durban for 2015' - 14 March 2012 (PDF)
- David Bromell - 'Doing the Right Thing: Ethical Dilemmas in Public Policy Making' - March 2012 (PDF, 287 KB)
- David Bromell - 'What is Public Theology?' - May 2011 (PDF, 227 KB)
- Bruce Hamill - 'The trouble with normal' - August 2010 (PDF, 74 KB)
- Maurice Andrew - 'Working and Timing: what has God got to do with holiday trading?' - July 2010 (PDF, 98 KB)
- Rod Oram - 'Apocalypse now? Apocalypse not! Hope in a cataclysmic world' - address given in Christchurch Cathedral, 18 October 2009 (PDF, 90 KB)
The views expressed in these talks and papers are those of the particular speaker/writer, and not necessarily those of the Centre.
The International Journal of Public Theology
The International Journal of Public Theology, is now available electronically via the Otago University Library website.
2011 NZ General Election discussion papers
Media Commentary on the Centre
- ODT report of Salvation Army report launch - 16 February, 2013
- ODT report of public conversation with Bishop Justin Duckworth - 29 January, 2013
- Radio New Zealand 'Media Watch' with Colin Peacock - 7 October, 2012
- ODT article on Rutherford Waddell conference - 26 August, 2012
- ODT report of public conversation with Peter Beck - 17 May, 2012
- ODT report of 'Public Square' on vulnerable children - 5 March, 2012
- ODT report of 'Public Square' on world food situation - 3 December, 2011
- ODT preview of forum on the global financial crisis - 18 November, 2011
- ODT report of forum on death of Osama bin Laden - 24 May, 2011
- ODT report of 'Public Square' on crime and punishment -17 August, 2010