There are a number of ways students can fund themselves through their studies. Some of the following methods may be applicable to you:
Student Loan Scheme
Please contact StudyLink for details.
Freephone 0800 88 99 00.
Deaf Link freeFax 0800 621 621
Further information on Government Student Loans and Student Allowances is available from the WINZ website at: http://www.studylink.govt.nz
Student Financial Advice Service
Contact the Student Financial Advice Service for:
- financial information and advice
- help with preparing budgets and cashflows
- information about possible sources of income.
The Student Financial Advice Service also accepts, and assess applications to the Student Assistance Fund. Contact the Student Finance Advisor, http://www.otago.ac.nz/services/student_finance.html
University of Otago Scholarships and Awards
Particular Disability related scholarships you may be interested in:
Check out scholarships and awards available to University of Otago students at http://www.otago.ac.nz/study/scholarships/.
Further information about Awards and Scholarships open to Students with Impairments is available elsewhere on this website.
Tips for Completing Application Forms
- Be objective.
- Show what you hope to gain by winning the scholarship.
- Students with a disability are often not likely to have the same work experiences or involvements in various activities as other candidates because of the barriers they face doing things that most people take for granted. However, it is important to remember that coming to university to study not only shows that they have the determination to succeed, but also demonstrates organisational skills that are required to carry out the study.
- For many students, completing forms and getting the necessary documents together for scholarship applications can be a daunting task. Student Advisors at Disability Information and Support are there to help you with completing the scholarship applications, if assistance is needed.