Senior Lecturer (COE)
BEd MEd (Otago) DipTchg TTC
Tel 64 479 4257
I te taha o tōku kōkā,
Ko Ngāi Tāmanuhiri rātou ko Rongowhakaata, ko Ngāti Kahungunu ngā iwi,
Ko Takitimu te waka,
Ko Muriwai te kāinga tūturu.
I te taha o tōku pāpā, nō te whenua o The Netherlands ia,
Ko Den Haag tōna kāinga.
Ko Yvonne K. Brouwer ahau.
I am a primary trained teacher and a graduate of the former Dunedin Teacher’s College. My teaching has been mainly in the primary sector – as a classroom teacher, Resource Teacher of Māori (4 years), and latterly, as a teacher educator at the University of Otago College of Education (previously Dunedin College of Education), since 1991. The main focus of my teaching at the College has been in Māori education within mainstream primary education. The kaupapa of the Māori components of the Professional Studies papers I teach in, is to introduce students to aspects of a Māori world view, with contextual language, and culturaly safe teaching practices, to integrate that knowledge meaningfully and naturally into classroom programmes.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate – mainly Primary education
- Undergraduate – I contribute to two ECE papers
- Professional Studies 2: Kaupapa Māori components te reo and mātauranga Māori
- Professional Studies 3: Kaupapa Māori components te reo and mātauranga Māori, and the Sociocultural component
- Professional Practice (Primary)
- Māori and bicultural education
- Culturally responsive pedagogy
- Implementing the ‘Tātaiako’ cultural competencies into mainstream education contexts