Applications are submitted through the yellow "Apply Now" button, found at the top right of each programme page. See the available ITE programmes offered by the College of Education.
Applications should be submitted by the due date. Check the application dates.
New international students should contact the International Office for advice on admission to their intended programmes.
Applying for study in your chosen programme is part of the process of enrolling for study at the University of Otago.
You can view the Overview of Enrolment at Otago page for more details.
The following information is for undergraduate (BTchg) and graduate (GradDipTchg (ECE)) applicants. Intending MTchgLn applicants please refer to Information for new MTchgLn applicants.
A guide to what is requested as part of the application process
When submitting your application you will need to provide information related to your personal details, contact information and educational background. You will also need to provide additional information specific to your application; which is detailed below.
- Candidates for whom English is an additional language must have their English language competency tested with the IELTS assessment tool. Candidates must achieve a 7 or higher across all 4 academic bands for undergraduate teacher education programmes, or 7.5 for graduate teacher education programmes; we require a witnessed copy, which you will then scan and upload to your application.
- Academic qualifications e.g. university/polytechnic transcript, NCEA, scholarship information or other school leaving qualifications; we require a witnessed copy, which you will then scan and upload to your application.
- If you have a medical condition you will be required to provide a medical certificate from your Doctor/Specialist regarding your ability to complete a programme at the College of Education. Scan and upload to your application.
- A Consent to Disclosure form can be downloaded from the application screens. Fill in the fields and sign, then scan and upload to your application.
- Recent experiences and involvement relevant to a career in teaching; type this out on one page of an A4 sheet and upload to your application.
- Employment record. Please bullet point the place worked, the position you held and the start and finish dates. Type this directly in to the relevant section of your application.
- A personal statement telling us who you are as a person, why you wish to enter the programme(s) you are applying for and your strengths. We expect about one page of an A4 sheet. This is to be handwritten; then scanned and uploaded to your application.
- Confidential referee reports: School leavers please provide one School Leavers Report and one Referee Report. All other applicants please provide two Referee Reports.
The report templates can be downloaded below, or during the online application process. Fill out the required sections and send to your referees to return directly to us (A freepost address is provided on the form). Your application is not complete until we have received the reports from your referees.
Once your application has been submitted
If you are shortlisted you will be contacted to arrange an interview. If your application has not been successful you will be notified of this via your e:Vision student portal.
If your interview is successful you will be offered a place in the programme via your e:Vision student portal. This may be a conditional offer if there are prerequisites still to be completed, such as NCEA or completion of a Bachelor’s Degree. If you are not successful after the interview you will be notified of this.
If you receive an offer of study you must accept or decline this offer and ensure that you have completed the selection of your papers.