The regulations for a Bachelor of Arts with Honours (BA(Hons)) degree in Linguistics are available at http://www.otago.ac.nz/courses/qualifications/bahons.html
To be admitted to the linguistics honours programme, you must have obtained a B average in the year of study preceding admittance to Honours.
2nd year honours comprises of four LING 200-level papers, and three or four additional 200 level papers in other subjects.
3rd year honours comprises of four LING 300-level papers, and two additional papers, one of which muct be linguistically orientated in content (see below).
The 4th year honours course comprises of either:
- three LING-400 papers, plus a 16-point dissertation (15 000-20 000 words) or
- four LING-400 papers, plus an 8-point research essay (8 000-12 000 words).
Examples of "linguistically orientated papers" which might count towards the third year of study include:
- language acquisition papers in a language other than English, e.g. CHIN 301 (Chinese Language 3), GERM 301 (German Language 3), RUSS 301 (Advanced Russian Language), etc.
- ANTH 304 (Linguistic Anthropology)
- ENGL 314 (Old English)
- EDUC 308 (The Reading Process)
- PHIL 304 (Philosophy of Language)
- PSYC 313 (Cognitive Psychology)
- PSYC 320 (Language)