BA (Economics and Sociology) - University of Cape Town, MBA - University of Witwatersrand, PhD - University of Witwatersrand.
Norman's advice to learners
Your experience alone is worth little. It only becomes useful learning when you reflect on WHAT happened and WHY it happened.
Norman on working at Executive Education
I have learned that good executive education has three important qualities:
• it must be directly relevant to the context that executives are experiencing - briefing and preparation is essential
• it should use language and examples that are analogous to participants and their challenges
• it must stretch and challenge the prevailing thinking of participants
Norman on his role at Executive Education
I work in the space of strategy, strategic leadership and organisation development. By combining the emerging insights from neuroscience, we are able to develop ‘real-world’ approaches and solutions to the challenges facing executives in modern organisations.
International teaching and industry experience
Norman is a strategy and organisation development practitioner who works in Australia, UK, New Zealand and South Africa. After leaving a leading consulting firm, Norman founded a strategy and research firm with affiliations in UK and North America.
His work embraces the research and insights from neuroscience and addresses:
• Strategy in highly uncertain environments, using various approaches such as scenario planning and neurostrategy
• Organisation development – designing and developing innovative organisations
• Growth and corporate resilience – achieving growth and adaptation.
Norman has particular skills in developing future strategy and aligning organisations with their current and future environments. His use of neuroscience principles has enabled the development of a range of proprietary techniques and approaches to achieve an enhancement in organisational performance.
Norman has published widely in his field and has contributed to a range of journals and international conferences. His recent book, Strategic Alignment, has received acclaim in the management and business press and the 2nd edition has just been published. His new book, The Future Builders deals with the practices of creating the future and organisational adaptation in uncertain environments. This is due for publication shortly.
He holds visiting and associate appointments with a number of leading Graduate Schools of Management, including Macquarie University (Australia), the University of Pretoria (South Africa) and Canterbury Graduate School of Management (NZ).
Prior to his consulting career, Norman held a variety of senior Marketing and General Management positions in the services and manufacturing sectors.
Personal membership and key positions
- Director of the global Academy of Brain-based Leadership
- Ambassador for Thought Leaders International
- Director of BrainLink Group - a specialist consultancy focused on the application of neuroscience principles to strategy, organisation development and strategic leadership
- Co-founder of FutureBuilders Group - a strategy and change management consultancy
- Strategy in uncertain and complex environments
- Scenario planning Strategic thinking and decision making Organisation design and development Strategic leadership and change