Assistant Research Fellow
Product Development Research Centre
BBiotech, MAppSc (AUT)
Tel 64 3 479 7560 Ext 7560
Roy is an an Assistant Research Fellow currently located in the Product Development Research Centre (PDRC).
He is currently in his final year of his Doctorate of Food Science at Auckland University of Technology (AUT). His doctoral research focuses on the influence of non-thermal processing on lamb meat physicochemical and sensory properties. He has a strong interest in the influence of innovative processing technologies to sensory and flavour.
He has various experience in GC-MS, volatile extractions and new product development projects. His main research expertise revolves around instrumental analysis, sensory, and understanding the influence of innovative processing technologies towards consumer perception and acceptance.
Roy's main research interests are:
- Sensory analysis
- Instrumental analysis
- Flavour Chemistry
- Food Product Development
- Ma, Q., Hamid, N., Oey, I., Kantono., K., Faridnia, F., Yoo, M., & Farouk, M. (2016). Effect of chilled and freezing pre-treatments prior to pulsed electric field processing on volatile profile and sensory attributes of cooked lamb meats. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies.
- Faridnia, F., Ma, Q. L., Bremer, P. J., Burritt, D. J., Hamid, N., & Oey, I. (2015). Effect of freezing as pre-treatment prior to pulsed electric field processing on quality traits of beef muscles. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 29, 31-40.
- Hamid, N., Ma, Q., Boulom, S., Liu, T., Zheng, Z., Balbas, J., & Robertson, J. (2015). Seaweed minor constituents. In Seaweed Sustainability: Food and Non-Food Applications (pp. 193–242).
- Zhou, A. Y., Robertson, J., Hamid, N., Ma, Q., & Lu, J. (2015). Changes in total nitrogen and amino acid composition of New Zealand Undaria pinnatifida with growth, location and plant parts. Food Chemistry, 186, 319-325.
- Kristine Ann Gualberto Sotelo, N. H., Indrawati Oey, Noemi Gutierrez-Maddox, Qianli Ma, Sze Ying Leong. (2015). Effect of Pulsed Electric Fields on the Flavour Profile of Red-Fleshed Sweet Cherries (Prunus avium var. Stella). molecules, 20, 5223-5238.
- Balbas, J., Hamid, N., Liu, T., Kantono, K., Robertson, J., White, W. L., . . . Lu, J. (2015). Comparison of physicochemical characteristics, sensory properties and volatile composition between commercial and New Zealand made wakame from Undaria pinnatifida. Food Chemistry, 186, 168-175.
- Boulom, S., Robertson, J., Hamid, N., Ma, Q., & Lu, J. (2014). Seasonal changes in lipid, fatty acid, α- tocopherol and phytosterol contents of seaweed, Undaria pinnatifida, in the Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand. Food Chemistry, 161, 261-269.
- Ma, Q., Hamid, N., Bekhit, A., Robertson, J., & Law, T. (2013). Optimization of headspace solid phase microextraction (HS-SPME) for gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC–MS) analysis of aroma compounds in cooked beef using response surface methodology. Microchemical Journal, 111, 16-24.
- Ma, Q., Hamid, N., Bekhit, A., Robertson, J., & Law, T. (2012). Evaluation of pre-rigor injection of beef with proteases on cooked meat volatile profile after 1day and 21days post-mortem storage. Meat Science, 92(4), 430-439.