Senior Research Fellow, Department of Anatomy
- Otago Genomics & Bioinformatics Management Committee member
Telephone: +64 3 479 7483
fax: +64 3 479 7254
Dr Jo-Ann Stanton is the principal investigator for a project creating Hand Held Diagnostic Devices (New Economy Research Fund, MSI). She leads a team consisting of an engineer/physicist, computer programmer, chemist and biologists finding ways to bring complex molecular diagnostics to a form that delivers results at point-of-care or in the field.
There are two arms to the work. First, engineering small, compact, energy efficient hand-pieces and second, gaining insights into diagnostic content for these instruments. To facilitate the second arm the group uses High Throughput DNA Sequencing, also referred to as Next Generation Sequencing. They operate a number of sequencing platforms: GS Junior from 454/Roche and Ion Torrent, Ion Proton and the 5500xl SOLiD system from Life Technologies.
The group was an early adopter of these state-of-the-art technologies and is one of the most experienced teams producing Next Generation Sequencing data in New Zealand with an international reputation for their work
Prostate gene expression: Jo-Ann is using High Throughput DNA Sequencing to describe gene expression in the human and possum prostate. This is a collaborative project with Professor Helen Nicholson and Dr Elspeth Gold.
Oral bacterial genomics: Through a number of collaborative projects we are investigating bacterial microflora from the oral cavity. With Dr Nick Heng we have sequenced bacterial genomes with significance to periodontal disease. In collaboration with Dr Geoff Tompkins we are applying NGS to criminal forensics.
Genetics of the Pacific: As part of a project headed by Professor Lisa Matisoo-Smith we are investigating human migrations into the Pacific and the genetic diversity of modern populations in the South Sea Islands. This work uses both modern and ancient DNA.
- Peacey M, Hall RJ, Wang J, Todd AK, Yen S, Chan-Hyams J, Christy J. Rand CJ, Stanton J, Huang QS. (2013) Recombinant Human Enterovirus 74 infection in Children. PLoS ONE 8(10): e76492. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076492
- Horsburgh KA, Prost S, Gosling A, Stanton J-A, Rand C, Matisoo-Smith, EA. (2013) The Genetic Diversity of the Nguni Breed of African Cattle (Bos spp.): Complete Mitochondrial Genomes of Haplogroup T1. PLoS ONE 8(8): e71956. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0071956
- Sutton JT, Robinson BC, Grueber CE, Stanton JL, Jamieson IG. (2013). Characterization of MHC class II B polymorphism in bottlenecked New Zealand saddlebacks reveals low levels of genetic diversity. Immunogenetics DOI 10.1007/s00251-013-0708-7
- Todd AK, Hall RJ, Wang J, Peacey M, McTavish S, Rand CJ, Stanton JA, Taylor S, Huang QS. (2013). Detection and whole genome sequence analysis of an enterovirus 68 cluster. Virol. J. 10:103
- Kennedy DM, Stanton JA, Garcia JA, Mason C, Rand CJ, Kieser JA, Tompkins GR (2012). Microbial analysis of bite marks by sequence comparison of streptococcal DNA. PLoS One 7(12): e51757