The facility is open to any qualified user undertaking a programme of academic research. A qualified user is any student who has undertaken a senior level undergraduate or graduate course in palaeomagnetism, such as the GEOL 431 paper at Otago or a course with similar content from another university.
Using the facility
- Please contact Professor Gary Wilson to arrange access and booking of the laboratory. Facility booking are required to be negotiated at least one month in advance.
- Rush work/access will be considered.
- Joint projects will be considered if a student research project and stipend is to be funded by the appropriate collaboration.
- Supervision would either be from Otago or Joint with another institution by agreement.
- Commercially related work will be accepted by the facility on a case by case basis and laboratory use and report writing would be on the basis of full commercial cost recovery.
The expected durations required for various measurements
- 30 samples per day NRM and full AF demagnetisation run
- 12 samples per day NRM and full Thermal Demagentisation (3 days minimum)
- 10 samples per day SIRM and backfield IRM