[published by the Otago University Students' Association]
The following information is a summary of comments from students who were enrolled in EAOS111 and GEOL112. Graphs show how students rated different aspects of the courses on a scale of 0-7. The mean for all 100-level courses at the University of Otago is shown by the line at around 2.4 out of 7.Both of the 100-level Geology courses that we offer were rated by students at between 5 and 6 out of 7 - significantly above average.
EAOS111 Earth and Ocean Science (first semester)
- Great course! Heaps to learn and a lot of work to do but great labs and field trips.
- A very enjoyable paper with great topics and awesome field trips.
- The marine science part of this course must be very interesting, considering how many students praised it in the survey.
- This is your paper if you like rocks and maps.
- There is a bit of an overlap with GEOL112, but it seems that way you know you've covered everything.
GEOL112 Dynamic Earth, a New Zealand Perspective (second semester)
- This paper rocks!!
- There were so many comments about how great the Geology Department is; students felt like part of a friendly community.
- Apart from wanting more field trips and the internal assessment to be worth more, this was said to be a highly recommended paper.
- Also the labs and lectures tie in well, which is a comment not often said for other papers.
- A clearly laid out and well organised course taught by lecturers that are actually interested in what they are teaching.
- This is an interesting and challenging course where theory mixes well with practical content.