There are numerous resources online that are useful for those with geological research projects based in New Zealand. This page lists just a few of these sources divided into two main types: geological resources and other resources. Also check out the information on local NZ geology on our research pages.
- GNS Science website:
- PETLAB Database: Sample localities database.
- Geological Map of New Zealand (online)
- 1:250,000 (Quarter Million) scale Maps of New Zealand (QMAP) (including free low resolution downloads).
- GeoNet site (realtime monitoring of geological hazards)
- Fossil Record Electronic Database (FRED). Jointly managed by GNS Science and the Geoscience Society of New Zealand (GSNZ: formerly the Geological Society of New Zealand).
- Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) website:
- DOCgis interactive maps (find out about the work that the Department Of Conservation (DOC) does and the conservation land and waters that DOC manages).
- Koordinates (a site that provides or links to various Geographic Information System (GIS) data for New Zealand in a variety of formats).
Note: we take no responsibility for the accuracy of the material in the links above, nor do we necessarily suggest they are the best sources of information. We merely think that some people may find them useful