Assoc. Prof. James D.L. White
PhD, University of California-Santa Barbara
MS, University of Missouri-Columbia
BS & BA (Geology & Phil/Hist) Texas Christian University
Office - Geology 1S5
Tel 64 3 479 9009
- EAOS111 Earth and Ocean Science
- GEOL112 Dynamic Earth: A New Zealand Perspective
- ENVI111 Environment and Society (Geological Hazards)
- GEOL 273/373 Sedimentary Processes and Materials
- GEOL 264/364 Igneous Petrology and Mineralisation
- GEOL 302 Independent Field Studies (supervisor
- GEOL 432 Geological Hazards (module)
- GEOL 422 Volcanology (module)
Explosive subaqueous and subglacial eruptions
Magma-water interaction and fragmentation
- Experimental Volcanology
Primary and secondary volcaniclastic sedimentation
See also the volcanology page
- Executive Editor, Bulletin of Volcanology
- Associate Editor, Island Arc
- Editorial Board, Journal of Volcanology and Geotherma Research
Schipper, C. I., Sonder, I., Schmid, A., White, J. D. L., Dürig, T., Zimanowski, B., & Büttner, R. (2013). Vapour dynamics during magma—water interaction experiments: Hydromagmatic origins of submarine volcaniclastic particles (limu o Pele). Geophysical Journal International, 192(3), 1109-1115. doi:10.1093/gji/ggs099
Taddeucci, J., Valentine, G. A., Sonder, I., White, J. D. L., Ross, P.-S., & Scarlato, P. (2013). The effect of pre-existing craters on the initial development of explosive volcanic eruptions: An experimental investigation.Geophysical Research Letters. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1002/grl.50176
Valentine, G. A., White, J. D. L., Ross, P.-S., Amin, J., Taddeucci, J., Sonder, I., & Johnson, P. J. (2012). Experimental craters formed by single and multiple buried explosions and implications for volcanic craters with emphasis on maars. Geophysical Research Letters, 39(20), L20301. doi:10.1029/2012GL053716
Valentine, G. A., & White, J. D. L. (2012). Revised conceptual model for maar-diatremes: Subsurface processes, energetics, and eruptive products. Geology, 40(12), 1111-1114. doi:10.1130/G33411.1
Ross P-S, White JDL (2012) Quantification of vesicle characteristics in some diatreme-filling deposits, and the explosivity levels of magma–water interactions within diatremes. J Volcanol Geoth Res 245–246:55-67 doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2012.07.006
Auer A, White JDL, Manville V (2012) Cryptic eruption of Mount Ruapehu revealed by deposits of sediment laden streamflow in a steep mountain valley: The 4 ka Kiwikiwi Formation, Whangaehu Valley, NZ. J Volcanol Geoth Res 243–244: 45-58 doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2012.07.003
Lefebvre NS, White JDL, Kjarsgaard BA (2012) Spatter-dike reveals subterranean magma diversions: Consequences for small multivent basaltic eruptions. Geology 40(5):423-426 doi:10.1130/G32794.1
Schipper CI, White JDL, Nichols ARL, Burgisser A, Hellebrand E, Murtagh RM (2012) Incipient melt segregation as preserved in subaqueous pyroclasts. Geology 40(4):355-358 doi:10.1130/g32582.1
Airoldi G, Muirhead JD, Zanella E, White JDL (2012) Emplacement process of Ferrar Dolerite sheets at Allan Hills (South Victoria Land, Antarctica) inferred from magnetic fabric. Geophys J Int 188(3):1046-1060 doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2011.05334.x
Schipper CI, White JDL, Houghton BF (2011) Textural, geochemical, and volatile evidence for a Strombolian-like eruption sequence at Lō`ihi Seamount, Hawai`i. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 207 (1-2):16-32. doi:10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2011.08.001
Sohn YK, Cronin SJ, Brenna M, Smith IEM, Németh K, White JDL, Murtagh RM, Jeon YM, Kwon CW (2011) Ilchulbong tuff cone, Jeju Island, Korea, revisited: A compound monogenetic volcano involving multiple magma pulses, shifting vents, and discrete eruptive phases. Geol Soc Am Bull 124 (3-4): 259-274 doi:10.1130/B30447.1
Muirhead JD, Airoldi G, Rowland JV, White JDL (2011) Interconnected sills and inclined sheet intrusions control shallow magma transport in the Ferrar large igneous province, Antarctica. Geol Soc Am Bull 124 (1-2): 162-180 doi:10.1130/B30455.1
White JDL, Ross P-S (2011) Maar-diatreme volcanoes: A review. J Volcanol Geotherm Res 201(1-4): 1-29 doi: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2011.01.010
Schipper CI, White JDL, Zimanowski B, Büttner R, Sonder I, Schmid A (2011) Experimental interaction of magma and "dirty" coolants. Earth Planet Sci Lett 303 (3-4):323-336 doi: 10.1016/j.epsl.2011.01.010
Airoldi G, Muirhead JD, White JDL, Rowland J (2011) Emplacement of magma at shallow depth: insights from field relationships at Allan Hills (South Victoria Land, East Antarctica). Ant Sci 23(2): 281-296 doi:10.1017/S0954102011000095
Also See Publications
Recent Postdoctoral researcher
Postgraduate Student Supervision
PhD - Current
- Robin Andrews Investigating the cratering and thermodynamics of the phreatomagmatic 1886 Rotomahana eruption
- Benjamin Moorehouse Investigating the eruptive processes of shallow-marine volcanoes on the Oligocene continental shelf, east Otago, New Zealand
- Andreas Auer Sedimentary Response to Debris Avalanche and Eruption at Mt Ruapehu (PhD submitted 2013)
- Carolyn Gorny Origin of Pleistocene lava-hyaloclastite sheets, southeast Iceland
- Nathalie Lefebvre Volcanology of maar-diatreme volcanic vent complexes, Hopi Buttes Volcanic Field, Arizona, USA (PhD submitted April 2013)
- Michael May The Rotomahana Eruption of 1886: Thermodynamics of a basaltic eruption through an intensely active geothermal system, North Island, New Zealand
- Simone Hicks (RE Fordyce primary supervisor) Ecological and sedimentological evolution of the volcanically active Oligocene continental shelf, east Otago, New Zealand
PhD - Published/Past
- Rachel Murtagh (2011) An investigation into the explosivity of shallow subaqueous basaltic eruption
- Giulia Airoldi (2010) Magma injection dynamics in the shallow Ferrar LIP (South Victoria Land, Antarctica)
- C. Ian Schipper (2009) Explosive Submarine Volcanism at Lō`ihi Seamount, Hawai`i
- Jean-Baptiste Rosseel. Supervisors JDL White, BF Houghton. Project: Phreatic and phreatomagmatic processes of the 1886 Rotomahana eruption: destruction of an active hydrothermal system along an eruption fissure. (1998-2008; withdrawn).
- McClintock, M.K.(2006) Evolution of a large volcaniclastic vent complex preceding emplacement of the Karoo flood basalts, Sterkspruit, Drakensberg Mountains, South Africa.
- Finnis, K. (2006) Resilience and vulnerability in communities around Mt Taranaki.
- Ross, P.-S. (2005) Volcanology of the Mawson Formation at Coombs and Allan Hills, Victoria Land, Antarctica. Unpublished PhD dissertation Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin
- Nemeth, K. (2001) Phreatomagmatism at the Waipiata Volcanic Field, Otago, New Zealand. unpublished PhD dissertation Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin
- Martin, U. (2000) Eruptions and deposition of volcaniclastic rocks in the Dunedin Volcanic Complex, Otago Peninsula, New Zealand. unpublished PhD dissertation Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin
- Segschneider, B. (2000) Resedimentation of the 1.8 ka Taupo ignimbrite in the Hawke's Bay region, North Island, New Zealand. Unpublished PhD dissertation Thesis, University of Otago, New Zealand, Dunedin
- Maicher, D. (1999) Hyaloclastite beds of shelf and seamount: roles of exsolution, entrapment and entrainment. unpublished Phd dissertation Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin
- Lewis, Bridgette, (2007). Deposition and compositional characteristics of the Potaka Tephra, Wanganui Basin, North Island, New Zealand.
- Guegan, Emilie, (2006). Magma-supply dynamics of the Ferrar large igneous province, Coombs Hills, Antarctica.
- Schipper, Christopher Ian (2004) Chemical and mineralogical characterization of pyroclastic deposits from the ca. 1 Ma Kidnappers and Rocky Hill eruptions, Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand. Unpublished MSc thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
- Marx, Raymond S . (2004) The Rotorua caldera lake: volcanic eruptions and water levels from 220 ka to present. Unpublished MSc Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
- Hood Hills, Simone B. (2004) Vent structures preserved in the Mawson Formation, a phreatomagmatic volcanic complex in the Allan Hills, southern Victoria Land, Antarctica. Unpublished MSc thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
- Lockett, Gillian M. (2003) Landslide and debris flow deposits at the margin of a large vent complex, Mawson Formation, Allan Hills, southern Victoria Land, Antarctica. Unpublished MSc thesis Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, NZ
- Newton, Erin H. (2002) Resedimentation of the 1800a Taupo Ignimbrite along the Rangitaiki River Catchment, North Island, New Zealand. MSc Thesis Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 170 pp + 73 pg appendices
- von Lichtan, Isabella J. (deferred) Flotation and sedimentation of large hot pumice blocks in a refilling caldera lake at the end of the Taupo 1.8 ka eruption
- McClintock, Murray K. (1999) Phreatomagmatism at Coombs Hills, Antarctica: Magma-water super-volcanism in a wet, failed rift. unpublished MSc Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 191 pp.
- Clarkson, Roger A.(1996) Immediate post-c. 1800a Taupo eruption secondary deposits and shorelines. M.Sc. Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand, 156 pp.
- Garland, Marama. (2006) Mawson-Ferrar Dolerite relationships, northern East Ridge, Coombs Hills, Antarctica
- Hardy, Lyndon (2005) Investigation of the Rotomahana Mud and deposits of the Lake Okaro hydrothermal explosions, North Island, New Zealand.
- Dreiberg, Bede J. (1995) Post eruption deposition from the 10 June 1886, Mt Tarawera eruption. BSc (Hons) thesis Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin, NZ, 1-82 pp.
- Townend, John (1995) The Rotomahana Eruption 1886: Heterogeneous interaction between basaltic magma and a geothermal system. BSc Honours thesis Thesis, University of Otago, Dunedin
Postgraduate Diploma in Science
- Laurie, Blair (2004) Volcanic architecture of the Harbour Cone-Dicks Hill area, Otago Peninsula, New Zealand.