Information on geology 400-level courses can be found here:
400-level geology course information
GEOL495 Master's thesis preparation is the core paper for the first year of an MSc degree. The MSc is a two year degree which encompasses both coursework and research. The first year involves mainly coursework and preliminary research preparation. Students will have the opportunity to contribute to existing fields of research, or to begin to develop new areas.
Preparation of a thesis proposal/preliminary thesis research. Normally taken by students in the papers year for a Master’s degree by papers and thesis.
|Paper title||Master's Thesis Preparation|
|Teaching period||Full Year|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,010.70|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$10,710.93|
- Limited to
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
- View more information about GEOL 495
- Teaching staff
- All academic staff involved
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Ethics, Environmental
literacy, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students initiate an independently driven research project during the first year of a two-year Master of Science degree. Research is undertaken within a specific sub-discipline of geology, supervised and advised by one or more academic staff members. Students who complete this paper will have learned the skills that they need to complete the second research-focused year of the programme.