Apply for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)Apply Now
Aim high. Go further with a PhD
A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) requires highly developed academic ability, independence and perseverance. Your thesis must reveal your ability to carry out research. It should also show your originality, independence, and make a significant contribution to knowledge in your chosen field – at least some of your work should be worthy of publication. Most students take between 3-4 years of full-time study to complete their PhD.
What are the benefits of a PhD?
Embarking on a PhD or doctorate requires commitment, enthusiasm and the ability to motivate yourself over 3-4 years of hard work. This means that the benefits of gaining such a qualification are many:
- Gain specialist knowledge in your subject area, and work towards becoming an expert in your field
- Achieve the advantage in a competitive job market, in an economy that is becoming increasingly knowledge-based
- Develop transferable skills: problem-solving, critical reasoning,
- Learn to think in-depth, and from different angles and perspectives
- Make a positive impact on our society, economy, and the environment, through your research