- To provide leadership in research activity for the Division, by promoting, fostering and facilitating research.
- To develop and maintain an Implementation Plans for the Divisional Strategic Plan
- To assist in the assessment of UORG applications in the Humanities through participation in the University’s assessment panels.
to make recommendations to the PVC on the allocation and administration of research funds, including HRG applications and other research funding allocations.
- To ensure that information is readily available to Divisional staff about research grant opportunities.
- To provide strategic and practical advice to academic staff applying for research grants.
- To advise the PVC, Deans and HoDs on any matters which are referred to the Research Committee for advice, including strategic and management plans and goals, and the monitoring of the outcomes of these, insofar as they affect research in the Division.
- The Associate Dean (Research), convener (ex officio).
- The Divisional Administration Manager (ex officio).
- Secretarial and administrative support provided by the Divisional Office.
- A minimum of eight and a maximum of twelve research-active, academic staff members called for by nomination and appointed by the PVC, to provide representation across the Division.
1. Appointees should include two early-career staff representatives;
2. appointees should include staff who have experience in gaining major external research grants, e.g. Marsden; MBIE; NZLF;
3. appointees should include staff who are distinguished researchers;
4. appointees should include staff who hold portfolios relating to research in the Departments, Faculties and Schools of the Division;
5. appointments are to be made on a mixture of two and three years, to provide for continuity of experience;
6. appointments are to be renewable for one further term.
7. Research Advisor(s) from the Research Office.
8. The Committee to have the power to coopt staff onto the committee.
The Committee meets regularly through the year.
Convenor: Associate Professor James Maclaurin (ex officio Associate Dean Research)
Secretary: Stephanie Evans, Humanities Divisional Office
- Dr David Berg, University of Otago College of Education
- Professor Margaret Briggs, Faculty of Law
- Dr Sean Connelly, Department of Geography
- Niky Hunt (ex officio Divisional Administration Manager)
- Dr Suzanne Little, Department of Music, Theatre and Performing Arts
- Associate Professor Anthony Ritchie, Department of Music, Theatre and Performing Arts
- Dr Mark Seymour, Department of History and Art History
- Dr John Shaver, Department of Theology and Religion
- Dr Mike Stevens, Department of History and Art History
- Dr Tim Thomas, Department of Anthropology & Archaeology
- Jeanette Wikaira, (ex officio Humanities Research Advisor)