How to Apply
Keep an eye on the closing date of the positions you are interested in. Positions close at 11.59pm (NZT) on the closing date, and will not appear on our website after that time.
You can make an application through our online recruitment system. If you have created an account previously or are a University staff member, sign in with your username and password, otherwise click the new user button.
When you first apply for a position or set up your profile, you will have the option of uploading your CV/Resume. To save you time, our recruitment system uses the information in your CV/Resume to populate some of the application form for you, which you can then edit.
You will be guided through the application process which is summarised below:
- Important information for candidates - This statement covers important information about how your information will be stored and used by the University of Otago and about our obligations to each other during the application and selection processes. Please read this information carefully. You may print a copy for your records.
- Recruitment questionnaire - You may be asked some questions to help us assess your suitability for the position.
- Personal information - This section captures your contact details. (Handy hint: you will be asked whether your preferred contact phone number is your home, mobile or work number; you are then required to provide this number.)
- Your experience and education - If you have uploaded your CV/Resume the system will attempt to populate these sections for you. Please review and edit as required.
- Your references - Please provide the names and contact details of three referees whose consent has been obtained and who may be contacted for a confidential reference. (Where possible at least two of these referees should be previous employers and have supervised or been senior to you in your current or most recent employment). If you do not wish us to contact your referee at this time, please include “(DO NOT CONTACT)” after their surname.
- Attachments - Please provide a covering letter and your CV/Resume. If you have already loaded your CV/Resume, or other attachments, you can select to include these in this application. Click here to view file formats accepted for attachments.
- Disclosures - This section includes information required to assist the University to meet its legislative and governance obligations.
- Diversity - The University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. The information requested in this section is for equity reporting purposes only and as such, will not form part of your application. Your privacy and confidentiality as an individual will be protected.
- Summary - This page displays a summary of all the information you have completed. You can review the information, or go back and edit the information before submitting your application. You can print a copy for your records.
Other supporting material – If supporting materials have been requested, please contact the department to discuss arrangements. In your covering letter, please list any materials sent to us as part of your application. DO NOT send original documents in support of your application - documents will not be returned.
During the application process, you can save your details as draft, and return to complete the application at a later time. If you choose this option, a warning message will ask you to confirm that you don’t wish to apply at this time. You can view your draft (and completed) applications in the ‘my job page’ section of your account.
Once you have applied for a position, you will find that a partial candidate profile has been created for you, based on the information you have supplied. You are encouraged to complete your profile, which you can edit at any time. This will save you time for future applications.
If you have any general recruitment queries, or any technical difficulties using the system, you can contact the recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org.