Academic Promotion generally refers to cases where your job title changes, but may also be used to consider applications for additional increments within the Lecturer, Research Fellow, Senior Lecturer, Senior Research Fellow and Teacher Education Fellow salary scales.
Some changes have been made to the Academic Staff Promotions policy since the 2012 round. For a summary of these changes please refer to the following document:
Complete policies and procedures applying to academic promotion are set out in the Academic Staff Promotions HR Policy booklet. This document contains the application form and all supporting documents required.
Applications for promotion are sought in May each year.
Please note that there is an error on page 11 of the Academic Staff Promotions Policy Booklet. Towards the bottom of the page, it says that applications are due on 19 May 2013. This date is wrong. Applications are due on 9 May 2013.
Guidance on applying for promotion
This 20 minute film provides guidance on preparing an application. It also is useful in planning for future applications.
Guidance for clinicians applying for promotion to Clinical Associate Professor or Clinical Professor
If you are a clinical teacher primarily employed by a hospital or other health provider, you may apply for promotion to Clinical Associate Professor or Clinical Professor. To be promoted you will need to show that your academic and professional eminence is such that if you were permanent university academic staff member you would be likely to be appointed at, or promoted to associate professorial level or professorial level. For some preliminary guidance, you may find the following document useful.
Workshops for Applicants, Heads and Promotions Committee members
Each year the Higher Education Development Centre (HEDC) and the Human Resources Division (HR) hold “How to Apply for Promotion” information sessions in Dunedin, Wellington and Christchurch. A current or former member of a Divisional Promotions Committee will attend the meetings to answer queries regarding applications.
Your application must include the following documentation:
- Application form [Disclaimer]
Application form - Word Version (an alternative to using the PDF form)
- Personal statement, outlining the grounds on which promotion is sought.
- Otago Teaching Profile, except for applications by research only staff (view policy for more information).
- Copies of evaluative reviews of published books, or of artistic performances , if available.
- Current CV in the standard format.
- Evidence of acceptance of as yet unpublished manuscript(s) (see notes attached to the standard CV).
- Head of Department Assessment Statement [Disclaimer] or
Head of Department Assessment Statement - Word Version
(an alternative to using the PDF form)
- List of referees (required for applications for promotion to: Associate Professor, Clinical Associate Professor, Research Associate Professor, Professor, Clinical Professor, Research Professor).
Divisional Committee Membership 2013
This document provides a list of the members of the four Academic Promotion Divisional Committees.