Nau mai, haere mai, akonga mā!
Thanks for stopping by and taking some time to learn more about the Information Science department. I would like to share my passion for our discipline with you and perhaps, who knows, you will become one of our students.
Information Science is the "numeracy and literacy" of, this, the information age. The study of Information Science at the University of Otago will enable you to understand and shape the world around you by using and creating information and communication technology. By utilising perspectives in science, engineering, and business you will find solutions for 21st century challenges. Information is at the heart of it all.
Our highly competent, motivated, and friendly staff will immerse you in a teaching and learning experience leading to knowledge and competencies in the information sciences, and beyond. Our Information Science curriculum offers a broad range of career paths, because you have a flexibility to combine your studies with subjects in the sciences, humanities, health, and business areas. For instance, information scientists work as: business and data analysts, information systems developers, data scientists and informaticians, human-computer interaction experts, and IT researchers and innovators.
As an Otago Information Science student you will
- be taught by an experienced teaching team, including numerous undergraduate and postgraduate teaching award winners;
- interact with internationally renowned researchers in Information Science;
- have a choice of recognised and accredited degrees: BCom, BSc, BA, BAppSc, MCom, MSc, MAppSc, MBus, MBusDataSc, MA, and PhD;
- have access to state-of-the-art facilities and technologies, including modern information technology resources and our lively laboratory spaces;
- have access to our network of national and international co-operation partners;
- be able to enjoy all the benefits of the "greatest small city" Dunedin which has a lot to offer, including arts and student culture, as well as access to the beautiful country surrounding the city;
- study at New Zealand's oldest and best university.
Please explore our website and approach our supportive staff. I hope I will see you soon in or outside the classroom.
Professor Holger Regenbrecht
Head of the Information Science Department