Take your knowledge to the next level
Looking to deepen your understanding of Information Science and enhance your employment prospects? The Department offers a range of postgraduate diplomas and degrees – from honours to PhD. Our lecturers and supervisors pride themselves on their technical depth and have a wide range of research interests.
Please contact the Postgraduate Advisor for course advice:
Postgraduate degrees by research
Postgraduate degrees and diplomas by coursework
- Master of Business Data Science (MBusDataSc)
- Master of Applied Science (MAppSc)
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Informatics (PGDipHealInf)
Diploma for Graduates
Already graduated in a different discipline – and want to improve you job prospects by diversifying your knowledge?
The Diploma for Graduates (DipGrad) allows graduates in any discipline to undertake a flexible and rapid course of undergraduate-level study.
The diagram below shows the most common entry points to our postgraduate degrees and diplomas. A degree or diploma appears above another if progression is possible between the two (subject to satisfactory grades and agreement on a suitable research topic).
Durations of programmes assume full-time study, and are rounded to whole months and years. Part-time study is also possible for most degrees and diplomas. Progression from one degree or diploma to another is subject to application and is contingent on achieving required grades and (where relevant) finding a supervisor for the proposed research topic
- A Postgraduate Diploma may optionally include a research dissertation (in place of two taught papers). This option is required for progression to PhD study.
- The Master of Commerce (MCom), Master of Science (MSc) and Master of Arts (MA) can be taken as a thesis-only degree (after an Honours degree or Postgraduate Diploma) or as a longer course involving taught courses and a thesis. The latter option is only offered in an exceptional case since the pathway from a Postgraduate Diploma to a thesis-only Masters degree serves the same role.
- The MAppSc and MBusDataSc do not include a required research component, although they do offer a research project option. All other Masters degrees include a required research component.
- The DipGrad can be used to satisfy the entry requirements of other postgraduate degrees and diplomas if it includes appropriate papers as advised by the department or programme concerned.