The New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships recognise New Zealand's close cultural, economic, and geographic ties with Southeast Asia. They seek to empower individuals with the knowledge, skills and qualifications to contribute to the economic, social, and political development of their region.
New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships are offered for postgraduate level study only.
What does it cover?
- full tuition fees
- a fortnightly living allowance - this is a contribution to basic living expenses
- an initial establishment allowance on arrival, and a subsequent annual establishment allowance to assist with ongoing costs
- medical and travel insurance
- travel from and to your home country - this is for travel from your home country at the start of the scholarship and for you to return to your home country at the end of your scholarship. Note that we offer our scholarships for the shortest amount of time needed for you to complete the academic programme
- home leave or reunion travel for some scholars
- assistance with research and thesis costs for many postgraduate research students.
Partners of New Zealand ASEAN Scholars may be eligible for a Partner of an NZ Aid Student Work Visa that allows them to live and work in New Zealand for the duration of their partner's study.
Who is eligible?
Application for a New Zealand ASEAN Scholar Award are open to citizens of the following countries. Click on your country to for specific eligibility criteria.
How to apply
Apply to study at the University of Otago.
More information about the University of Otago application process and programmes.
How to apply for a New Zealand Aid Programme Scholarship.