New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarships are prestigious scholarships that recognise New Zealand's history and ties to the Commonwealth. Our Commonwealth Scholarships are part of the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) - an international programme under which Commonwealth countries offer scholarships and fellowships to citizens of other Commonwealth states. The purpose of the scholarships is set out in the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, with the following key principles, to:
- promote mutual cooperation and share educational experience among all Commonwealth countries
- be available across the Commonwealth
- recognise and promote the highest level of intellectual achievement
Who is eligible?
Applications are open to citizens from the following countries. Click on your region or country for specific eligibility criteria.
- Africa: Botswana, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
- Asia: Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
- Pacific: Cook Islands, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
- The Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago
How to apply
Apply to study at the University of Otago.
More information on the University of Otago application process and programmes.
How to apply for a New Zealand Aid Programme Scholarship.