The purpose of these scholarships is for candidates to gain knowledge and skills through postgraduate study in specific subject areas that will assist in the development of their home country.
New Zealand Development Scholarships are for postgraduate study in New Zealand and are available to candidates from specific African, Caribbean and Latin American countries, and from Bhutan, Jordan, Mongolia, Nepal and Timor-Leste. New Zealand Development Scholarships are also available for undergraduate study to candidates from Timor-Leste.
What they cover
- full tuition fees
- a fortnightly living allowance - this is a contribution to basic living expenses
- an initial establishment allowance on arrival, and a subsequent annual establishment allowance to assist with ongoing costs
- medical and travel insurance
- travel from and to your home country - this is for travel from your home country at the start of the scholarship and for you to return to your home country at the end of your scholarship. Note that we offer our scholarships for the shortest amount of time needed for you to complete the academic programme
- home leave or reunion travel for some scholars
- assistance with research and thesis costs for many postgraduate research students
Partners of NZ Development Scholars may be eligible for a Partner of an NZ Aid Student Work Visa that allows them to live and work in New Zealand for the duration of their partner's study.
Who is eligible?
Applications for New Zealand Development Scholarships are welcome from the countries listed below. Click on your region or country to see specific eligibility criteria.
- Africa: Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Cameroon, Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Asia: Bhutan, Jordan, Mongolia, Nepal, Timor-Leste
- Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Venezuala
- The Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Beliza, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St Lucia, St Kitts and St Nevis, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago
How to apply
Apply to study at the University of Otago.
More information on the University of Otago application process and programmes.
How to apply for a New Zealand Aid Programme Scholarship.