The University of Otago student computers use a ‘managed’ desktop, either PC or Mac. This means that the operating system and required applications are automatically updated and maintained by ITS to ensure that everything is compatible and up-to-date.
The managed student desktop is installed with a wide range of software for you to use including the Microsoft Office suite and Endnote. If you need to use specific software for your course, it will automatically appear for you to use when you log in (under 'Course Specific Software').
To access the managed student desktop you will need:
- your student username (printed on your student ID card)
- a password (a temporary password will be given to you with your ID card but you need to change this to something you can remember as soon as you can. Please log in to PIMS to change your password)
- a PIN number for after-hours access to student computer areas (this is given to you with your student ID card).
It is always good practice to back up your important files in a number of places from the student desktop. Options include:
- S:Drive (also accessible from the web using Netstorage)
- USB flashdrive
- email it to yourself
- print it
- save it online to an online storage service, e.g. Dropbox.
Salvage Files is a service that you can use to recover any files that you lose while you are working on a student desktop computer.