University of Otago students can print, copy or scan to many Uniprintstations, multifunction devices (MFDs) available in the libraries and student computer areas of all University of Otago campuses. Money for printing is stored on your student ID card and you will need to use your ID card or username and password to access the Uniprintstations.
You can view step-by-step instructions for printing, scanning and photocopying at the University on our Tipsheets and Handouts page.
Printing options for students
Your own computer
To print from your own computer, you now need to use your student email account to email your file to be printed (Word doc, PowerPoint, Excel, .pdf or .txt) as an attachment to:
Please contact a Student IT Advisor if you have any questions about emailing your print job.
When you print from a computer in a University student computer area/lab or library, you will find the following options in the Print menu:
(Note that if you are using the student desktop on your own computer you will also see any printers that you have already have installed).
- Black & White Printer allows you to send your print job to a Uniprintstation. Your print job can be released to print once you get to the printer.
- Colour Printer allows you to send your print job to a Uniprintstation. Using this option, any pages in colour on your screen will print out in colour, while pages in black and white will print out in black only. Your print job can be released to print once you get to the printer. Download the How to Print tip sheet for more information about printing to Uniprintstations
- CutePDF Writer is used to create .pdf files of your document
- Printshop B&W sends jobs to the black and white printer at Uniprint’s Library branch on the ground floor of the Central Library on the Dunedin campus. You must pay first before your files are printed.
- Printshop Colour sends jobs to the colour printer at Uniprint’s Library branch on the ground floor of the Central Library. You must pay first before your files are printed.
- UOC Black and White Printer sends to the black and white printers on the Canterbury campus
- UOC Colour Printer sends to the Colour printers on the Canterbury campus
- UOW Black and White Printer sends to the black and white printers on the Wellington campus
- UOW Colour Printer sends to the Colour printers on the Wellington campus
Check Uniprint’s Library branch operating hours to ensure that you can collect your job.
The University student printers are known as Uniprintstations. They are multifunction devices (MFDs) that can be accessed at the libraries and student computer areas of all University of Otago campuses.
- copy, print and scan in both colour and black and white.
- print colour and black and white in the one document (this will be charged accordingly)
- double-sided print and copy
- The two large printers in the Central library can also print A3
Paying for student printing and copying
To use Uniprintstations, funds must first be loaded onto your student ID card account. This can be done at any of our EFTPOS kiosks.
Print jobs sent to Uniprint’s Library branch on the Dunedin campus (using the Printshop B&W and Printshop Colour options in your student computer printing options) must be paid first before they can be printed out.
EFTPOS kiosk locations
Student ID card printing funds can be topped up using EFTPOS at the following locations:
- Central Library (Electronic Resources Area), Dunedin
- Robertson Education Library, Dunedin
- Science III Building Foyer, Dunedin (24 hour access)
- University of Otago Medical Library, Dunedin
- University of Otago Canterbury Medical Library, Christchurch
- University of Otago Southland Campus Library, Invercargill
- University of Otago Wellington Medical & Health Sciences Library, Wellington
Uniprint handle all of the University of Otago's printing requirements. You can print from the student network to the Uniprintshop located in the Central Library on the Dunedin campus at discounted printing rates.
Visit the Uniprintshop webpage for more information.